Hockey: Chichester hit six to put loss behind them

Ollie Robinson starred in the win at Milton Keynes  Picture by Kate Shemilt C131413-2
Ollie Robinson starred in the win at Milton Keynes Picture by Kate Shemilt C131413-2

Chichester’s first XI got back to winning ways after their surprise home defeat to Spencer - by hitting MK for six.

Milton Keynes 1 Chichester 6

South open premier div one

Chichester bounced back from their rare home defeat a week earlier when they hit six after a long journey to Milton Keynes.

They got the trip out of their legs early and dictated play from the word go. Chichester transferred the ball nicely and the Chichester half-backs had a lot of space down the flanks which was well used.

The opener for Chichester came in the strangest of circumstances. Whilst transferring the ball around the back, an MK defender was unfortunate to get a touch on a bouncing pass which defelected into his own goal.

Chichester soon made it two when the returning Gerald Cox beat a player and fired a pass into Ollie Baxter to neatly deflect home.

They continued to press and soon won a penalty corner and a well-worked routine saw Ollie Robinson in space to find the net.

Chichester made it four before the break through another well-worked penalty corner which found Matt Cox in space to deflect in.

After the break Chichester stepped off the gas and MK started to have more of the play. A couple of chances were created but great defending by Kieran Henn, Luke Matthews, Jason Collins and Dan Brook kept the MK frontline at a distance.

With ten minutes to go, MK won a penalty corner and a neat drag-flick found its way into the bottom corner.

Chichester lifted the tempo for the final five minutes and Robinson got his second through another well-worked penalty corner and Baxter did the same when Matt Cox and debutant Ben Woodruff linked up well in attack and Cox found Baxter in space to cooly make it 6-1.

They came home pleased with the victory knowing MK is never usually an easy place to get points. Chichester welcome Sevenoaks this Saturday at Kingsham (1.30pm).

Bognor Town Ladies 2 Horsham Ladies IV 3

Bognor hosted Horsham with a small squad, meaning the 11 on the pitch had a mammoth task in containing young and lively opposition.

The home team pushed hard in the first 15 minutes and pressured the opposition defence but were unable to convert chances.

Against the run of play, Horsham slipped in a weak goal during a goalmouth scramble. However, they levelled when Charlotte Cox scored.

Alina Hlynianski, playing an outstanding game, pulled off some cracking saves and dominated her D with steely determination.

Despite the majority of play being in the Horsham half, they slotted a second goal just before half-time.

The second half started strongly for Bognor with Theresa Cooper, Sara Coulson and Debbie Cox working tirelessly to dispossess and harass the swift forwards and efficiently working the ball forward through Sue Perry, Pat Simmonds and Charlotte Cox.

Captain June Rogers and Karen Harmer had numerous efforts saved - then Cox, having been given a free hit for being unceremonously bundled off the ball, surged forward and with great skill and panache beat several players and scored a wonder goal.

Jackie Okonta and Kim Agate were stalwarts in defence and Hlynianski worked brilliantly to keep the score level.

In the last 45 seconds Horsham were award a short corner and after the first strike was saved, the winning goal was scored by a lucky deflection.

Player of the match was Hlynianski.

Uni of Chichester 2 Littlehampton 3

Sussex Open League division two

The university started the first half of the match strongly in heavy rain and spent almost all the first 15 minutes in Littlehampton’s half.

Alex Bolton scored an early goal for Chi after great skill from the attacking players.

Littlehampton struck back and converted a penalty flick to level the score.

The visitors again pushed through the students’ midfield, putting pressure on the defence, which led to a brief breakaway in which Littlehampton scored their second goal, despite the best efforts of keeper Ben Southall.

UoC refocused and again spent a good ten minutes within Littlehampton’s half of the pitch, finally scoring another goal to make it 2-2.

In the last minute, a short corner was awarded to Littlehampton and a swift set-play resulted in a final goal.

It was a disappointing end to a well-fought game.

CHICHESTER: Finn, Southall, MacEnri, Fagg, Davidson, Rivers, Tsiamis, Cashman, Ardley-Forder, Bolton, Williams, Moors, Riglar.

The university are at home at the Bishop Otter Campus against St Francis this Saturday and Brighton & Hove on November 2, both starting at 12.30pm.

Southwick 0 Chichester Ladies II 1

On a wet morning Chichester travelled to Portslade to play Southwick in what has always been a tough fixture.

Chichester had to be alert as Southwick were quick on the break but could not finish. Chichester gradually got into the game but were not a real threat to the Southwick goal.

But about five minutes from the end of the half, Jessop got control of the ball and her shot took a deflection off the goalkeeper’s pad and gave Meg Goring a goal at the far post.

The second half was much the same as the first, with neither side capitalising on improved play.

As the rain got harder Chichester seemed to retreat but they defended brilliantly up to the final whistle.

This was a hard-fought win but some improvement is needed when they host Bognor this week.

CHICHESTER: Claire Purdy, Mel Howarth, Mel Banks, Jenna Greenway, Emma Bennison, Lottie Greenlees, Nadine Leifting, Amy Chaplin, Sarah Jessop, Sarah Pack, Tracy Austin, Meg Goring.

University of Southampton 0 Chichester III 3

Hampshire division two

Chichester started slowly and the first half was cagey, with near misses for both teams and dodgy tackles resulting in Woodruff being shown a green card.

Not long after half-time, Clark was sent to the sin-bin after another poor tackle. Despite being down to ten men, Chichester continued to attack and took the lead through Moon as Clark set him up.

A minute later they were 2-0 up after some great counter attacking play, Moon again the scorer.

After not scoring a short corner for more than 280 minutes, Chichester scored their first of the season with Moon slamming home to put Chichester out of sight.

Ill discipline saw Chichester down to ten men again with Farr shown a yellow card but that didn’t stop Chichester running out clear winners.

CHICHESTER: T Strudwick, T Wothern, J Gleeson, H Clark, A Hagel, R Woodruff, D Moon, B Richardson, Patrick, E Sturdey, G Farr M Powell-Jones.

Penguins 3 Chichester Bad Habits:2

Sussex League div four

Chichester travelled to Angmering to play the only first team in the league.

Penguins were strong in attack but Chichester gained strength from defenders Priddle, Wilkins, Lake and Whitington working to deflect the ball to forward Flowers, who scored.

Penguins made a quick comeback, securing the equaliser with a lucky shot behind the keeper.

Woman of the match Megan Cliff and Austin worked in midfield to gain possession but just before half-time Penguins regained the lead.

Penguins found a third within the first five minutes of the second half.

Chichester pressed on for a final goal and the ball was driven from Lake to Cliff then to Riley, who worked her magic to make the final score 3-2.

CHICHESTER: Wilkins, Lake, Cliff, Jacks, Smith, Bennison, Whittington, Priddle, Riley, Willway, Austin, Flowers.

Chichester IV 2 Fareham V 4

Hampshire division four

Chichester lost out when they hosted an experienced Fareham side with youth and guile up front.

From the pushback, Fareham retained possession for the early passages of play before forcing an early penalty corner. This was skilfully converted with a rasping shot beating Torrance in goal.

Chichester sought a foothold, looking to link across the midfield, where they were bolstered by Will Gammon’s presence. However they were outnumbered with Fareham closing down the play and converting two of three more corners in the first half.

A change in formation at half-time saw debutant Mayhew dropping back in front of the defenders and providing more protection.

While Fareham scored again halfway through the second half, Chichester ended the game stronger. Connor Lutton opened the home team’s account before skipper Matt Gammon slid a shot through the Fareham keeper’s legs.

CHICHESTER: R Torrance, T Gleeson, B Beresford, W Horton, T Worthen, M Gammon, O Pescott, C Hindmarsh, K Steeley, I Mayhew, C Lutton.