Busy Bognor boxers have that winning feeling

Bognor ABC had a busy ten days by sending boxers into the ring at the Littlehampton ABC show, an event at Goldenring in Southampton and their own big night at Butlins.

At Littlehampton, Bognor’s Aaron Bulman beat the host club’s John Henry Brazil.

Bulman has improved with every contest and from the start he stalked Brazil throwing straight lefts and rights, keeping up the pressure and hardly taking any shots in return.

There was no surprise when Bulman’s hand was raised at the end of the contest.

Meanwhile, Bognor’s Jack Spear was in action at Goldenring’s dinner show in Southampton, up against novice Nathan Lang.

Spear was a class act, and it wasn’t until the end of the second round that Lang got a look-in.

In the third round, after instruction from coach Sean Burton, Spear was on fire and was awarded a very convincing win.

Then it was on to showtime at Butlins with seven Bognor boxers in action.

They did the club proud with five winners, including the top two fighters of the night.

Freddie Hayes had an excellent debut against Whitehawk’s Chae Cullen.

In the first round Hayes used good footwork to cut off Cullen, catching him with speedy jabs. By the third round Hayes was in control and took a well-deserved decision.

His older brother Dennis Hayes was up against Jason Stanley from Team Wiseman and from the start Hayes had to keep to his coaches Leigh Keywood and Tony Woodley’s game plan of straight one-twos. He pushed his busy opponent all around the ring, finishing a clear winner.

Bognor’s most exper-ienced fighter Alfie Haven and Waterloville’s Connor Edney’s bout was a clash of styles.

Edney did more of the attacking and won the close decision.

Aaron Bulman fought a return with Louis Payne from Westree ABC and it was a hard-fought, close contest.

Bulman attacked Payne from the start in an even first round but the second and third saw Payne find his range. Bulman didn’t quite throw enough punches to unsettle Payne, who took a close win.

After the interval the seniors took centre stage and a slimmer James Baker, boxing at 65kg, produced the greater volume of punches in an exciting bout against Jake Kannoo from Portsmouth ABC. Baker ended a clear winner on points.

Jack Spears was back in action, his long-range jab keeping Moneyfields boxer Ethan Cobbold at bay.

In the second Spears was on the ropes but he defended well and continued throwing stiff jabs to take a well-deserved unanimous decision.

Bognor’s light heavyweight Callum Ide was last on against Farnham’s David Thompson – and it was a case of saving the best til last.

Round one saw the tall, rangy Ide produce crisp jabs and use the ring well. Thompson tried to crash through Ide’s defence but to no avail.

In the second Thompson stepped up his game but Ide was showing all his jabs, hooks, body shots and movement. Ide matched his opponent punch for punch, giving him an unanimous win and the fight of the night crown.

After the disappointment of not boxing at Butlins, Jake Stanley was spitting nails when he boxed Lewis Mensa on the Hayes ABC annual show at Heathrow.

From the start he put pressure on Mensa and after advice from coaches Simon Thorne and Tony Woodley, in the second round Stanley started throwing big over-hand rights landing and hurting Mensa.

In the third Stanlet punched his man all round the ring and it was no surprise when the Bognor lad’s hand was raised a clear winner.

It’s been a long road for Stanley to get his first win and all the coaches say he’s done them proud.