2000 reasons to enjoy Chichester’s sailing spectacular

Some of the competiors in the Crewsaver Millenium Series 2000 Series Open Meeting held over two days, hosted by Chichester Yacht Club  Picture by Chris Hatton
Some of the competiors in the Crewsaver Millenium Series 2000 Series Open Meeting held over two days, hosted by Chichester Yacht Club Picture by Chris Hatton

The forecast of very light breezes did not bode well for Chichester Yacht Club’s two-day open for the 2000 class – but 23 boats turned up on day one from as far afield as South Wales and Norfolk.

There were eight boats from the home club and race officer Nick Colbourne set a windward-leeward course in Chichester Lake.

When he got the 23-strong fleet into the first starting sequence, he was forced to abandon as most of the fleet sailed backwards over the line, carried by the tide.

After a further delay, he swung the course round by 180 degrees and squeezed in three short races in a breeze of eight to ten knots.

Visitors, led by Rob and Sarah Burridge from Weir Wood, took the first four places in races one and two with John and Pauline Cox of CYC in fifth.

Race three was won by Ferens Barnham and Abbie Hewitt of Snettisham Beach, with the Burridges dropping back to fifth but still in the lead overall.

CYC’s social on Saturday evening, with dancing to the band Miles High, may have tired some, but Sunday morning was bright and sunny with a promising breeze.

There was close, competitive sailing, again on a windward-leeward course. The Burridges dominated the fleet with an unassailable set of bullets for the second series of three races, taking top spot by a fair margin and claiming the Idun Trophy again.

Barnham and Hewitt scored a second and two third places, giving them second overall, with Matt Sargent and Johnny Given of Thorney Island a third and two seconds to claim third prize.

In fourth place were Dave Adams and Jenny Pearson-Farr of Broadstairs; fifth Tim and Linda Hulley of Weir Wood.

Of the local boats, first CYC team were John and Pauline Cox in seventh, with Chris Hodge and Louise Varley in 12th, Helen and Mark Green 13th and Abbie and Fiona Page 14th.

The Endeavour Prize, for the last boat to complete all the races, was awarded to CYC’s Mike Linney and Giles Dixon – but only because Rick Page and Ian Sellwood were not allowed to win it again, and in the Winthers’ boat they missed a start because the crew was late.


Members and guests of Pagham Yacht Club experienced a wonderful evening when they celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Club’s foundation.

They had a formal sit-down meal followed by entertainment from the Bognor Regis Big Band under the shelter of the marquee situated on the beach outside the club. The marquee was so large it could be spotted from the beach at Bognor.

The dinner-dance was organised by club vice-commodore Steve Greene and his team and was attended by 90 members of PYC.

The club were aided by Bognor Flower Club, who gave their time and expertise to provide flower-table decorations, including a thank-you bouquet to Margaret Westlake, the president of the club who has been involved since the beginning when her husband was one of the first commodores.

Margaret and the present commodore Chris Page cut a celebration cake.

The weekend’s activities also included a two-day regatta and an ‘anglers afloat for a dinghy’ competition on Monday.

The seeds of the club were sown in 1963 on Pagham Lagoon by a small but enthusiastic group of dinghy owners, calling themselves the Little Tern Club and teaching themselves to sail and race.

Doug Witheyman, Doug Moorey and George Greenhow joined forces with Ken Charlwood and John Gyngell to form Pagham Yacht Club in May 1964 with Ken becoming the Cclub’s first Commodore.

n PYC welcome new members to enjoy their social, sailing, fishing and angling sections and are keen to encourage more youth members. Please contact the club directly by calling in and chatting to current members or email membership@paghamyachtclub.com


Dell Quay Sailing Club dinghy cruisers made the most of fine weather for their annual cruise to Cobnor and camp.

A total of 44 members enjoyed camping in the north woods area of the Cobnor estate. Sailors young and older came together to cook, light campfires, play football and enjoy the outdoors.

Two Mirrors, two Wayfarers, three Laser Picos, one Tinker, one Taz and one Wanderer launched from Dell Quay and made their way against an incoming tide past Chichester Marina and down Itchenor reach towards Cobnor point.

On arrival at Cobnor, the fleet split and a fully-laden Sunny Lady – there were 13 in a Wayfarer – made her way to Bosham to purchase well-earned ice creams for the junior crews.

Back at camp, firewood was gathered and barbecues were lit in the sunset. After dark, fire juggling captivated all thanks to Steve Kelsall’s stash of circus toys. The came to a close with traditional campfire songs.

After the obligatory bacon and eggs next morning, all crews de-camped and began to prepare their boats for a sail to Pilsey Island.

The larger dinghies made Pilsey while smaller craft sailed close to Thorney channel before turning back towards Dell Quay. All boats used the remainder of the flood tide to return to Dell Quay, past the myriad of boats afloat in the Harbour, ending yet another successful outing for the DQSC dinghy-cruising fleet.


For the first race of the DQSC Longmore series, race officer Richard Ede challenged competitors’ memories by setting an interesting course with 15 mark roundings, resulting in three boats being disqualified for going round the wrong mark.

A bad start left Andrew Horne (Solo) trailing a long way behind the leading Solos. However, some favourable wind shifts and effective light wind sailing enabled him to catch up with the leading single-handers.

The results after application of handicap corrections saw John Purdy (Solo) first, Sue Manning (Laser 4.7) second and David Swift (Solo) third.

Fine weather encouraged a good turnout for the first two races in the DQSC Junior series. Light winds made for difficult racing conditions so a good start was key. Fleur Moranne, sailing a Topper, lined herself up in a great position to take the early lead.

William Lynas, also racing in his Topper, kept up the pressure all the way round. It was close but Moranne confidently took the first win of the season, leaving Lynas in second place and Adam Hall third in his Tera, with Phoebe Pontet coming fourth.

In race two, Charlotte and Juliet Binning had an impressive start in their Mirror. But the wind dropped to make it a race for the lighter single-handers. 

Pontet took a well-deserved first place. Lizzie Kies came second in her Pico with the Binnings coming third and Gregory Kies fourth.

After the racing the juniors enjoyed fun and games on the water with Henry Bettle, DQSC dinghy instructor.  Video coverage of the junior race is available on the DQSC Facebook site.