Rocks Review: Faversham 0 Rocks 2

THE ROCKS strengthened their position at the top of the Ryman one south table after a professional 2-0 victory at Faversham.

Bognor dominated the first half but just had a one-goal advantage to show for the 45 minutes. But they made sure of the win with a second goal before the hour to make it two wins and two draws since they opened 2012 with a defeat at Whitehawk.

Defeats for Dulwich Hamlet and Folkestone added to a good day for Jamie Howell and Darin Killpartrick’s team.

The visitors started quietly and a penalty appeal when Ben Johnson was tripped in the box was turned down by the referee.

In the seventh minute, a free-kick from Bognor’s Ashley Robinson was met with a great header by Terry Dodd, which was tipped just over the bar for a corner.

Bognor continued to dominate but the home side could have gone ahead in the 30th minute when Hockton just failed to convert and an angled cross from Justin Ascheri.

On 40 minutes, the Rocks went ahead when a great cross from Johnson on the left was met by Dan Beck’s header to give the visitors the half-time lead.

Bognor went 2-0 up in the 54th minute when Johnson slipped the ball to Dodd, who sidefooted past the keeper.

The Rocks continued to dominate the game and in the 87th minute, Robinson thought he had scored his second goal when he fired a low shot into the net - but the referee had given a foul.

In the 88th minute, a Faversham free-kick from the right was tipped wide by Craig Stoner in the Bognor goal for a corner, which came to nothing.

FAVERSHAM: Craddock, Brown, Simpson, Dawodu. Humpheys, Bourne, Asehery, Peacock, Stone, Hockton, Botterell. Subs: Hill, Tenyue, Moir, Keanne, French.

BOGNOR: Stoner, Sherriff, Wollers, Kobbs, Axten, Breach, Beck, Wills, Robinson, Dodd, Johnson. Subs: Saunders, Harper, Thompson, Boyle.

REFEREE: Mr T Goddard.

* The Rocks are next in action on Wednesday evening when Brighton visit Nyewood Lane in the quarter-finals of the Sussex Senior Cup.