Rocks held - but hold on to fourth place

The Rocks had to hold on to take a point in an at-times frustrating fixture at Nyewood Lane.

Bognor had hoped to bounce back from their poor away performance in Bury Town over the weekend but ended up with a point, which keeps them in fourth place and in the thick of the play-off race.

Terry Dodd began on the bench with the striker struggling with a bruised toe. Kane Wills was missing, as was Stuart Axten.

An early chance from the visitors went begging when Josh Casey struck over the bar.

Arron Hopkinson smashed a deflected effort wide after good work from Scott Chamberlain deep in the Ks half.

A counter-attack saw Hopkinson run on to a deflected clearance from a Ks corner and he used his pace to play Ollie Pearce in with only one defender back. Pearce cut in but blasted his effort disappointingly high and wide.

Chamberlain followed up a deflection to get a shot away on 11 minutes. His low drive was well saved by Rob Tolfrey.

James Crane combined with Dan Thompson before cutting the ball across the box for Pearce. The striker bashed a shot along the floor but Tolfrey was equal to it again.

Hopkinson’s cross found Pearce in the box but his volley swirled wide of the right post on 22 minutes.

Daryl Wollers chipped the ball forward to Pearce. The young striker turned quickly to fire low but his attempt rolled the wrong side of the post.

Thompson’s shot was deflected and despite Tolfrey’s attempts to keep it in play it rolled off for a corner.

Casey then went to ground after a challenge on the right by Crane. A free-kick was awarded and Charlie Knight swung it in. It was Ryan Moss who rose highest to glance a header goalwards but Grant Smith gathered.

Daniel Sweeney smashed a shot from 25 yards to force Smith into a diving save - pushing the ball back out of the goal with both hands - on 33 minutes.

Doug Tuck’s dipping shot after another Pearce corner was straight atTolfrey on 37 minutes as Bognor continued to churn out chance after chance.

HT - 0-0

The game restarted with a disallowed goal. It was the visitors who had the ball in the net after a slip-up in the Bognor defence. Casey tapped it home but the play was stopped after the linesman had his flag up for offside, much to the visiting dugout’s dismay.

Sam Page received a booking for kicking Thompson in a battle for possession.

Harvey Whyte tried his luck from long distance - but his shot was always rising.

Thompson was replaced by Dodd on 59 minutes as Bognor tried to shake things up,

Hopkinson hit the Ks again on the counter with his run down the right and low cross. Pearce couldn’t quite get there.

Hopkinson sliced wide when he had no other options on 63 minutes after outpacing his marker.

Smith pulled out another stop to deny Moss before the Rocks replaced Pearce with Ashley Harris on 72 minutes.

Paul Hinshelwood was booked for a late challenge on the left flank.

Moss smashed another attempt wide of the post before Dee Okojie replaced Knight.

Matthew Drage’s inswinging free-kick from the left found Moss with a header but Smith was there to push it away for corner. The resulting kick found Daniel Pappoe but on the back post he could only steer his header over.

Sweeney latched on to a loose clearance from the Bognor defence but his 30-yard effort flew wide.

Tuck’s driven free-kick missed everyone ibut took a deflection for a corner on 89 minutes. Pearce’s corner found Dodd but he flashed his header wide.

Smith had to put his body on the line right at the end to deny a player through on goal after another dangerous cross from Drage right at the death - Smith required treatment as he was clearly fouled, but the claims for a free-kick were ignored.

But it did stay goalless and Bognor will look to go one better and get a win on the board when Harrow visit on Saturday.

Attendance - 361

Rocks: Smith, Hinshelwood (c), Crane, Tuck, Wollers, Robson, Hopkinson, Chamberlain, Thompson, Pearce, Whyte. Subs: Harris, Sackman, Dodd, Van Driel, Morey.