Police can’t arrest buoyant Bognor’s run

James Crane scores the Bognor opener against the Met Police  Picture by Tommy McMillan
James Crane scores the Bognor opener against the Met Police Picture by Tommy McMillan

The Rocks maintained their play-off push with their third straight victory to move back into fourth position - winning 2-0 away to Met Police.

Naming the same starting XI that won impressively over Dulwich at the weekend, the visitors took the game to their hosts and found themselves in front in the 11th minute.

A Kane Wills corner from the right was headed goalwards by Craig Robson and James Crane was on hand to bundle the ball home from close range at the far post.

The hosts enjoyed their fair share of possession throughout the half but without troubling Rocks keeper Grant Smith as the Rocks rearguard proved equal to whatever was thrown at them.

Bognor went close again as Ollie Pearce screwed an effort wide after good work from Harvey Whyte before Pearce turned provider, presenting Terry Dodd with the opportunity to double the lead but his strike was also off target.

Five minutes before the break, the Rocks should perhaps have doubled the advantage when a Wills cross was met at the far post by the unmarked Ashley Harris but the stretching on-loan Pompey forward’s volley just missed the target, flying wide of the near post.

Into the second half and referee Mr Crowhurst waved away appeals for a penalty after home forward Tyrone Pink collided with Smith when through on goal. Pink earned himself a yellow card for his protests.

But in the 59th minute, the man in the middle did point to the spot at the other end when substitute Arron Hopkinson saw his free-kick handled in the box and the prolific Dodd stepped up to send veteran ‘keeper Stuart Searle the wrong way, to double the lead.

Forward came the hosts and Smith was called into action, firstly making a smart stop to deny Pink before pulling off an even better save from a Charlie Collins free-kick.

One downside to the evening for the Rocks was that of Wills hobbling off towards the end of the match - but hopefully the injury will prove not to be too serious.

ROCKS: Smith, Hinshelwood, Crane, Tuck, Axten, Robson, Whyte, Wills (sub Chamberlain), Dodd (sub Thompson), Pearce, Harris (sub Hopkinson). Unused subs: Sackman, Wollers.


* The Rocks host Leiston on Saturday.