It’s another five-star show as Rocks down Town

Bognor stormed to a 5-2 victory over Bury Town at Nyewood Lane with yet another convincing display in cold conditions.

After a relatively tight and uneventful first half, six of the game’s seven goals, came in the final 45 minutes.

Terry Dodd’s brilliant season continued with a hat-trick as the Rocks put back-toback away defeats behind them.

Arron Hopkinson’s cross from the right came to nothing in the first minute as the game started at a lively pace.

Mark Zawadski had to wait patiently for a high ball from the right by Ryan Semple, who then darted past Stuart Axten before firing a low shot at goal on four minutes. Zawadski saved well and the loose ball was kicked clear by Craig Robson to relieve the goalkeeper.

William Clark then tried his luck from outside the box but it rose well over the bar.

Kane Wills’ corner found Robson but his header flew wide on eight minutes.

Hopkinson won a corner after a long ball forward to him on the right from Ben Johnson. The corner from Wills found Axten, who headed it on to Robson but a Bury defender got there first to clear for another corner.

Axten was again in the box to receive a cross but he went to ground after what appeared to be an elbow in the face and the game had to be stopped so the defender could receive treatment.

Bury keeper Marcus Garnham had to pull out a good save to thwart another Rocks attack seconds later.

Bury went close when Louis John had to block William Clark’s attempt after Shane Tolley had done all the work down the right on 15 minutes. The defender slid in to deflect the ball away at the near post with Zawadski beaten.

James Crane’s pinpoint cross found Dodd in the box but his header bounced harmlessly to the opposition.

The first goal of the game came from Dodd as he glanced in a header from a Johnson cross to give Rocks an early lead on 18 minutes.

Semple passed Crane to cross into a relatively-open box on 21 minutes. Zawadski was late to come out of his goal and only just managed to clear the danger with Tolley in pursuit.

Ollie Pearce capitalised on another throw-in from Crane to get a low shot away on the edge of the box. However, Garnham was there to push the ball away with a decent save to his left.

Wills hit an ambitious shot from 30 yards that never troubled the goalkeeper.

Miles Smith received a yellow card on 25 minutes for sliding in late on Pearce near the away dugout.

Pearce combined with Dodd on 28 minutes. The latter fired a shot on goal but it was straight at Garnham who pushed the ball away before winning a free-kick for offside.

Wills followed up with a clattering tackle on Clark straight after John Kennedy was shown a yellow card for Bury Town. Wills was also given a booking.

Cunningham’s looping free-kick on the right bounced once but missed all the Bury players before falling kindly for Zawadski.

HT - 1-0

A yellow card was shown to Jordan Patrick in a continuation of what was a physical game.

Dodd added to his tally with a goal from close-range on 51 minutes after a decent cross from the right from Hopkinson.

Zawadski then had to make two fine saves to deny Bury when he first tipped the ball away before having to punch a cross clear.

Bognor had the better chances and created another as Pearce was brought down in the box by Joe Whight. He was shown a yellow card. Up stepped Johnson, who drilled his penalty high into the net with Garnham diving to his left - putting Bognor 3-0 up on 64 minutes.

A consolation for Bury came on 68 minutes. A corner fell to Clark, who only had to tap in from close range after the Bognor defence failed to clear their lines.

Dodd completed his hat-trick on 73 minutes. He managed to outpace the defence, and seeing the danger, goalkeeper Garnham ran out of his area to try to stop him - but the striker poked the ball into the bottom corner to give Bognor an unassailable lead.

Scott Chamberlain’s shot went well wide of the goal from more than 30 yards out and the referee saw a deflection and gave a corner. The resulting kick fell to John, who headed the ball high over the bar on 86 minutes.

Another goal for Bury made it 4-2 on 87 minutes. Tolley latched on to a brilliant cross from Patrick to nod in on the back post for the visitors.

Wills netted Bognor’s fifth inside stoppage time in somewhat bizarre circumstances. Wills looked offside from the onset of the attack and Hopkinson won the ball and ran forward - and with only goalkeeper to beat, he passed forward to Wills with no defenders in sight to slot into the net with no offside flagged.

The Rocks now turn their attention to Sussex Senior Cup action, with Lancing making the visit to Nyewood Lane this Tuesday (7.45pm).

Rocks: Zawadski, John, Crane (Hinshelwood 59), Tuck, Axten, Robson (Weir 69), Hopkinson, Wills, Dodd, Pearce (Chamberlain 79), Johnson

Unused Subs: Sackman, Kempson.