GALLERY: Rocks get first point - but it could have been three

It was a cruel finish for Bognor as they surrendered two points in the dying seconds at home to Kingstonian – but at least Jamie Howell’s men have their first point of the season.

It was a cruel finish for Bognor but they had only themselves to blame as they failed to clear the late danger when they had a chance.

Doug Tuck helped Bognor to their first point    Picture by Chris Hatton

Doug Tuck helped Bognor to their first point Picture by Chris Hatton

The equaliser meant Ollie Pearce’s header from Ben Johnson’s cross with just ten minutes left was not as valuable as it should have been.

New signing from Eastleigh Jack Smith went straight into the side as Osa Obamwonyi dropped to the bench.

An early cross saw Chris Winterton have to gather high in the air as the ball floated towards the back post from a Chris Henry cross.

Harvey Whyte’s cross from the right fell straight into the grateful arms of Rob Tolfrey.

A long and hopeful ball forward bounced through to Andre McCollin but his left-footed shot, when the ball eventually came down, was well wide of the right post.

Whyte went to ground in the penalty area under a strong challenge from Josh Casey on 23 minutes but the referee waved away the penalty claims.

Things just weren’t clicking for Bognor as Charlie Oatway could only belt a pass towards Johnson out for a throw in on 30 minutes.

Elvis Hammond blasted an attempt narrowly over the bar after Winterton parried a low shot on 34 minutes.

Whyte’s forward ball to Alex Parsons put him in sight of goal but his shot was always rising from just inside the area.

Casey went down under a challenge and received treatment which held up play for a couple of minutes.

Hammond struck an ambitious effort well over the bar after he ran on to a long through pass.

Whyte made a good run from midfield before firing a low shot that was deflected away.

Then Bognor were let off when a bouncing high ball found McCollin, who managed to loft Winterton before running at goal. His shot came off the underside of the bar before bouncing out.

Early in the second half, Hammond got through near the by-line but his low effort from an acute angle was well stopped. At the other end Robson tried his luck from 30 yards but the attempt was well saved by Tolfrey.

Whyte was replaced by Arron Hopkinson on 54 minutes.

McCollin hit the woodwork after he outpaced the defence and belted a shot beyond Winterton. Obamwonyi replaced Smith in defence while Thomson was replaced by Ollie Pearce.

Oatway won a free-kick for Bognor in the Kingstonian half but Johnson’s delivery came to nothing.

Pearce struck an effort well over on 78 minutes but Bognor did score three minutes later. A wonderful piece of play saw Johnson get a cross in from the left which found Pearce on the back post and he headed in.

Pinney sent another attempt over the bar and James Crane had to clear off the line when McCullin’s low shot fired towards the bottom corner.

There was heartbreak for Bognor, though, after Oatway brought down McCollin and won a free-kick. The Rocks failed to clear it and it fell to Pinney, who headed in from point-blank range to give Ks a point they deserved.

Rocks: Winterton, Hinshelwood, Crane, Tuck, Smith (Obamwonyi 57), Robson, Whyte (Hopkinson 54), Thomson (Pearce 63), Parsons, Oatway, Johnson. Unused Subs: Medway, Boyle.


Get all the Rocks latest in the Bognor Observer - out on Thursday