Youth football: Silver lining to season for Chichester, Midhurst and Bognor teams

Chichester City Colts under-ten whites celebrate winning the league title
Chichester City Colts under-ten whites celebrate winning the league title

The league and cup silverware has started being handed out in the local youth football leagues.

Get involved in our coverage by sending reports - and pictures of your league winners or cup finalists - to


Selsey Seals Red 0 Chichester City Colts White 6

IN THEIR penultimate game of the season, the Colts (pictured) clinched the B division championship.

After their first defeat the day before, the Colts knew a win would give them the title.

Jake O’Brennan scored early on to settle the nerves, and then it was simply the Ryan Johnson show.

He went on to score five before half-time, with Rhys Rawlings and Jake O’Brennan chipping in with the assists.

The second half came and went without any goals despite constant Colts pressure.

Well done to all the boys for a great season and to Johnson, whose performance won him man of the match.

COLTS: Briant, Moore, McGreal, Wilson, O’Brennan, Rawlings, Wells, Durmush, Johnson, Scott.


Rustington Otters Youth 0 Midhurst and Easebourne United 1

A tightly-contested Invitation Cup final at Arundal saw both teams making chances. The game looked close on paper and lived up to expectations.

Midhurst were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box on 20 minutes. Charlie Waldron took it but it was saved.

Rustington’s chances were kept to a minimum with Kieran Sharp and Jonny Marley marshalling the back-line superbly, backed up by the pace and defensive prowess of Joao Martins and Max Lambkin.

A first-half injury to Chris Hogg looked likely to end his day, but the sponge seemed to do the trick and he battled on in midfield.

The second half went in M&E’s favour. Runs down the wing from Finn Bukingham Rhyder and Charlie Waldron were pushing Rustington back. The Midhurst front line of Ben Clayton-Smith, Joshua Dean and Jamie Thornley were making it difficult for their opponents.

After 90 minutes it was 0-0 and extra-time saw M&E start to stamp their authority on the game. Fitness levels started to show thanks to the efforts of Andy Claydon, physio and fitness coach.

Rustington had a good chance kept out by keeper Toby Portman, who put in another faultless display. The second half of extra time saw M&E camped in the Rustington half and after a string of corners, the breakthrough finally came with just five minutes to go.

A great corner by Marley was met in the air by midfielder Luke Wallis, who headed the ball down into the corner of the net.

Midhurst remained strong and Tom Claydon, injured days earlier, was brought on for the final stages in case it went to penalties.

The final whistle sparked celebrations among the players and supporters - the under-11 Invitation Cup was going to Midhurst for the first time in the contest’s history.


Bognor Town 6 Worthing Minors 0

Bognor dominated from the whistle with lots of good passing – and the win clinched the title.

Ben Hauxwell and Mason Haga Hammond controlled the middle of the park. Bognor’s strategy of passing long worked with Van Driel being brought down in the box, enabling Bennett to score the penalty.

Bognor continued to command play and penetrated again, Hauxwell scoring the second when the keeper failed to clear. Humphreys, Haga Hammond and Rose worked well together.

Bain continued his outstanding run of free-kicks blasting home from just outside the box.

Connolly, Hauxwell and Robey dominated the right side denying Worthing any time on the ball.

After the break, Bennett headed home for his second and the team’s fourth. Wallers took the score to 5-0 showing good individual skill.

Soon after, Bain scored another scorcher of a free-kick in the top corner - the keeper stood no chance. Keeper Jodey Scott rarely saw the ball but was confident when he did.

Bognor are hoping for the same result in their cup final at Arundel.

BOHGNOR: Jodey Scott, Harley Bain, Joe Bull, Louis Smith, Stan Robey, Jacob Van Dreil, Ben Hauxwell, Mason HagaHammond, Harry Wallers, Joe Bennett, Callum Rose, Liam Connolly, Ollie Humphreys.


Chichester City Colts 8 Felpham Colts Youth 0

Colts continued where they left off against Worthing the previous day with a hatful of goals and another clean sheet.

Joseph Roman opened the scoring, converting a cross from right winger James Davies.

Dylan Smith scored his first soon after with a fantastic cross shot into the corner of the net.

Roman added Colts’ third, heading home after Sam Reading had flicked on a Smith corner.

Smith notched his second just before half-time, his initial shot hitting the crossbar before he followed it in to convert the rebound.

Colts introduced Regan Hawkins for the second half and he had an immediate impact, latching on to Finn Carter’s throw to drill a shot past the keeper.

Roman completed his hat-trick when he broke clear of the Felpham defence, calmly rounding the keeper, ignoring the goalie’s screams in an attempt to put him off and finishing left-footed.

Fynn Turner-Kilburn then scored the goal his play had deserved, heading home directly from Smith’s corner. Centre back Glenn Johnson then hit the post with a great long range shot but was trumped by Roman who unleashed a superb 20 yard thunderbolt which flew into the Felpham net to complete the scoring.

Special mention goes to the boys at the back who provided a fantastic defensive shield for keeper Brandon Baxter, who again had a comfortable but compotent game in goal. Colts MoM was Ben Hewitt.

COLTS: Baxter, Hewitt, Johnson, Reading, Mead, Davies, Poole, Carter, Smith, Turner-Kilburn, Roman, Chambers, Hawkins, Trust.


Predators Youth 5 Pagham Youth 0

This game promised to be physical after the last meeting between the two clubs saw the ref produce 14 yellow cards.

Furlong was unlucky when his shot hit the crossbar and the Pagham keeper pulled off some fantastic saves to keep it to 0-0 at half-time.

Early in the second half, a cross from Josling found Mouse to open the scoring for Predators. This seemed to spur them on and they took control.

Great defending saw the Predators keeper with little to do. Josling converted a penalty to double the score for Predators.

He followed this up with a diving header for his second.

Rodway fired home a great shot and a chip from Irish saw the final score 5-0 to Predators. Man of the match was Oliver.

PREDATORS: Rodway, Irish, Birch, Josling, Furlong, Bosco-Brown, Farndell, Williams, Hillier, Mouse, Davies, Oliver.


Rustington Otters Red 2 Avisford Youth 2

Avisford’s first season finished in a thrilling draw at sun-drenched Rustington.

The Otters started well, with striker Harry Carwithen causing problems for the Avisford defence and opening the scoring early on from a tight angle.

After ten minutes Carwithen doubled Rustington’s lead as they threatened to put the game out of Avisford’s reach.

Top scorer Matt Kill was brought on to change the game and it did the trick as an error by the Rustington goalkeeper let in Kill to slot into an empty net.

In the second half, Carwithen and Rafferty West went close for Otters, while Tommy McGinley and Sammy Copeland had chances for Avisford.

Just as it looked like Rustington’s game, Avisford produced a fantastic passing move involving four players which ended in man of the match Kill lifting the ball over the keeper to give Avisford a deserved equaliser.

McGinley nearly snatched the win for the away side as his free kick skimmed the top of the bar.

Avisford are looking for new players for 2013-14. If interested, please contact Steve Kill on 07799 030299.

AVISFORD: Cummings, Jones, Longley, Brian, Wawrzewski, Wasowski, Nowak. Subs: Copeland, Green, McGinley, Kill.