Youth football: Long lay-off doesn’t hinder Pagham Colts

editorial image

Wins for Pagham Colts, Pagham Youth, Midhurst & Easebourne, Predators Youth, Chi City Colts and Felpham Youth all feature in this week’s youth football round-up.


Pagham Colts 1 Lancing Rangers 0

Pagham returned to action after a four-week lay-off and gained a valuable victory.

The midfield of Watson, VanDriel, Parham and Stevens were all prominent and Carter and Marland kept the visitors under pressure. But their dominance didn’t have an end product.

Dan Gonzalez’s header hit the bar following a Ben Haines cross then at the other end Lewis Tribe pulled off a great save. Billy Stevens was put through down the right and his shot hit the bar.

In the last 20 minutes, Pagham went down to ten men because of injuries but the team dug deep and their hard work was rewarded when VanDriel’s corner went in to secure the points.

PAGHAM: Tribe, Marland, Shea, Barratt, Carter, Stevens, Parham, VanDriel, Watson, Kitchener, Gonzalez, Haines.

Worthing United 0 Pagham Youth 4

This match was memorable for Rory Wood’s four-goal haul for ten-man Pagham and a brilliant performance by the stand-in Worthing United keeper.

Wood’s first goal came on two minutes after Joe Hurford’s through-ball.

Pagham did not score again until the last five minutes of the half, Wood adding his second from Hurford’s good build-up play and his third after Hurford’s shot from William Richardson’s right wing cross was parried.

Hurford was injured in the build-up to Pagham’s third and joined right-back Joel Lane on the sidelines leaving Pagham down to ten for the second half.

But Wood put away his fourth after a long ball over the top from Matt Taunton.

PAGHAM: Carter, C Richardson, W Richardson, Gosbee, Taunton, Barnes, Hurford, Poole, Game, Lane, Vincent, Wood.


Midhurst & Ease 1 Lancing Rangers 0

This was an amazing game of football between two evenly-matched teams who kept spectators entertained with thrilling football.

Midhurst had a shot cleared off the line early in the game but had to battle hard for a breakthrough.

Six minutes from half-time Karol Papaj scored for Midhurst, who stay top with three games left.

MIDHURST: Collins-Powell, S Cain, Largan, Wysocki, Thompson, Murphy, Warren, Field-Millard, Thornley, Greet, Wakeham, Burtoo, Papaj, C Cain.

Worthing Rebels 0 Predators Youth 7

Predators got off to a great start with Irish opening the scoring.

A flick-on from Josling found the foot of Irish, who got his second. This was followed by what Irish called his best of the season, a screamer from 25 yards into the top corner.

Josling took the ball round the Rebels keeper and tapped in to make it 4-0. Rebels fought well but couldn’t break through the Predators defence, leaving keeper Williams with little to do.

A great free-kick from Blackman found Josling, who scored. A corner found Birch, who scored an amazing goal, and Josling added his third.

Rebels became increasingly frustrated and both teams lost a player. Man of the match was Rodway.

PREDATORS: Rodway, Irish, Josling, Blackman, Birch, Cook, Jukes, Williams, Farndell, Davies, Hillier.

Pagham 7 Highdown Colts 1

Pagham took the lead on four minutes when Knight put Smith through and he finished superbly. Smith headed the second from a cross by Misslebrook.

Cleall made it 3-0 after being set up by Misslebrook before Misslebrook’s dribble took him past three players and he was chopped down. Cleall converted the penalty for a 4-0 lead at half-time.

Highdown’s goal came on 52 minutes from a goalmouth scramble.

Pagham came back stronger and on 55 minutes Knight made it 5-1, taking a Smith pass in his stride and finding the corner. On 62 minutes Knight crossed and Cleall completed his hat-trick with a 25-yarder.

Pagham completed the rout when a Knight shot came back off the bar for Urbanczyk to finish. Pagham man of the match was Misslebrook.

PAGHAM: Hambidge, Mulcahy, Oliver, Paul, Cleall, Misslebrook, Knight, Smith, Standen, Sheehan, Lane, Urbanczyk, Ackers.


Chi City Colts 3 Lancing Utd Youth 2

Chichester gave themselves a great chance of staying in the top division.

The visitors took the lead with a tap-in after a great save from Humphreys.

The Colts began to play and Lancing’s keeper made saves to thwart Cheeseman and Graham before Humphreys again made a fine save.

Then the hosts’ passing game brought rewards with quick goals from Cheeseman and Graham giving the Colts a half-time lead. The Colts extended the lead when the faultless Jake Smyth headed in at a corner. Cheeseman and Graham went close again before Lancing got a late consolation.

CHI CITY COLTS: Humphreys, Shishkov, Smith, Smyth, Hobbs, Stremes, Reedman, Trinder, Gilyead, Graham, Cheeseman, Herrington, White, Hogben.


Worthing Utd Colts 2 Predators Youth 4

Predators booked their place in the Invitation Cup final with a hard-fought win.

Ashley Butler fired Predators ahead following an exchange of passes between Alex Stanton and Brandon Williams. Alex Burford headed a second.

At the start of the second half, Predators conceded a penalty and had a defender red-carded after a mistimed tackle. Connor Fellows saved the penalty but Worthing bundled the ball in.

Predators reorganised their defence and the back four dug in as Worthing applied the pressure.

Predators were awarded a penalty which Jordan Smith converted. Worthing were now controlling the midfield and reduced the deficit again.

With the ten men holding on desperately, Predators broke again allowing Brandon Williams to curl a shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Burford, Butler, Donner, Evans, Hamilton, Hanslip, Koszkalo, McCabe, Sanctuary, Smith, Stanton, Williams.


Pulborough Pythons want to recruit new players ahead of a move into the under-11 league in September.

They train on Friday nights and play on Sunday mornings. Would-be team members need to be going into Year 6 at school in September.

Contact Nick Zalesny on 07884 370476.


Barnham Trojans Red 0 Felpham Colts 1

This cup semi-final began at a frenetic pace but Felpham got the measure of midfield early on with some lovely play by Sonny Phelan, Luke Kearns and Jonny Prior.

Chances for Prior and Phelan went begging, but the Felpham pressure paid off as they took the lead when Phelan found space in the box and showed great composure to place it past the keeper.

Barnham found their passing range but the defence of Matthew Bellamy and Hannah Hendrick held firm.

Keiran Robbins battled to deny Barnham time on the ball.

A fine run from Kearns set up Phelan, who hit the post. Keeper Bradley Smith commanded his area well.

FELPHAM: Smith, Kearns, Bellamy, Hendrick, Prior, Robbins, Phelan, Shimell.

Felpham Colts Youth 7 Selsey Seals 0

A first-half hat-trick for Jonny Prior set Felpham on their way and Luke Kearns completed a comfortable first half with a quick run and strong right-foot shot.

Prior twice set up Sonny Phelan, who went on to complete his hat-trick with a turn and cool right-foot finish.


Chi City Colts 3 Predators Youth 0

Brave goalkeeping from Jack Briant kept it 0-0. A Chichester corner was headed in by Jake O’Brennan.

In the second half Chichester were rewarded with a goal form Barnaby Lewis, who chipped the goalkeeper.

Lewis Fox marked his cameo with a lovely goal three minutes from time. Davy claimed the man-of-the-match award.

CHICHESTER: Briant, Wilson, McGreal, O’Brennan, Hawkins, Davy, Durmush, Fox, Osmend, Warrington, Lewis.

Predators 0 Felpham Colts 2

With Felpham chasing the title this was a vital win. Lewis Walker scored with a beautiful chip over the keeper from just inside the box. A second followed when a shot rebounded to Harry Geall and he lifted it over the keeper.

Zak Cogger pulled off his only save in the last minute.

Felpham remain top with two games to go. Man of the match was Mines.

COLTS: Cogger, Partridge, Searle, Dent, Walker, Nicholas, Markie, Hubbard, Mines, Geall, Blunt.