Youth football: Chichester City Colts have a white hot start to season

Youth football is back. Here’s our first round-up from around the West Sussex pitches. Send your youth football reports and pictures to


Chichester City Colts White 5 Selsey Seals Red 1

The Colts have made a great start to their league campaign.

In glorious sunshine they made an early breakthrough through Ryan Johnson and added another before half-time from Owen Moore with a spectacular overhead kick.

In the second half the first goal was crucial and the Colts made it 3-0 thanks to Johnson. Selsey played well and got their reward to make it 3-1.

The Colts manager made some inspired substitutions and the Colts scored two more through Johnson before the end.

Johnson scored four to claimed the man-of-the-match title while Jake O’Brennan made two assists.

CHICHESTER: Briant, Wilson, McGreal, Davy, Durmush, O’Brennan, Johnson, Moore, Rawlings, Wells.

Worthing Town Youth Red 3 Felpham Colts 4

With the champions playing the runners-up in the opening fixture, this was always going to be tight.

The Colts went ahead when Luke Hubbard wiggled into the box and fired home. It was 2-0 to the Colts when, after the keeper parried a shot, Lewis Walker turned and slotted home.

Worthing pulled one back just before half-time when Felpham failed to clear their lines.

The second half started with Worthing scoring with a fine shot which beat Zak Cogger at his near post.

But the Colts soon got their third when a superb pass from Luke Dent allowed Hubbard to smash a left-foot shot past a startled keeper.

With Mines, Williams, Geall, Markie, Nicholas and Kearns all controlling the midfield at various times, a long throw from Hubbard bounced up in the area for a superb scissor kick from Walker to make it 4-2.

With Dent working away up front and Blunt, Searle and Partridge having fine performances in defence, the Colts were coasting until Worthing scored again with seconds to go.

FELPHAM: Cogger, Partridge, Searle, Blunt, Mines, Kearns, Williams, Hubbard, Walker, Nicholas, Markie, Geall, Dent.

Chichester City Colts Red 3 Worthing Town Youth White 2

At sunny Priory Park, Chichester beat Worthing in their first-ever league game.

The first goal came when Joe Osmend crossed low for Rhys Llewellyn to tuck home.

The home team doubled their lead when Osmend sent Kian Rhodes-Dempsey clear and he tucked home a powerful finish.

The vistors got one back before half-time and soon after the restart, Worthing were level with a scrambled goal.

But the home team stole the points when Henry Mahoney played a ball over the top for Rhodes-Dempsey to smash home.

Defenders Isaac Worrington, Jack Botley and Jamie Hawkins protected the lead, with Lewis Fox pulling off some late saves.


Predators 2 Selsey Seals 2

Predators were pressing forward but looking vulnerable at the back and Sean Donner opened the scoring for Predators, latching on to a cross from the right.

Straight from the second-half kick-off, a long ball split the Predators defence to allow a soft equaliser.

Selsey started to play with increasing confidence and took the lead as they again outpaced the Predators defence.

Brandon Williams equalised against the run of play, lifting the ball over the keeper from the edge of the box.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Burford, Butler, Donner, Hamilton, Hanslip, McCabe, Sanctuary, Smith, Williams, Humphrey, Elliot, Simmonds.


Chichester City Yth 6 Worthing Dyn 2

The first game of the season started slowly but Collins Alfred put City in front after 20 minutes when the ball popped out from a corner and he knocked it through the crowd and under the keeper.

Zac Moy doubled the lead with a similar effort before James Scutt picked the ball up from left-back and ran the length of the pitch to make it 3-0 at half-time.

Worthing piled on the pressure at the start of the second half and rifled in two quick goals to get back in the game.

City started to control the game and a neat flick from the edge of the area from Dan Macdonald lobbed the keeper before man of the match Scutt got his second, a screamer from outside the D.

Patric Turner finished things off with a powerful run into the box to slot past the keeper.

CHI CITY: C Carter, D Macdonald, C East, J Amos, J Scutt, H Yeo, W Dry, A Shaw, C Alfred, G Cody, Z Moy, P Turner, W Hutchings.


Selsey 1 Predators Youth 2

Predators travelled to Selsey for their first game in this team’s final year in youth football.

They started well and it soon became clear all their pre-season training had paid off as they took control.

It wasn’t long before Josling was on the scoresheet with a great half volley over the keeper’s head.

Predators keeper Williams was rarely tested and Davies made the score 2-0 at half-time.

The second half saw Predators sit back and Selsey took advantage and scored.

Predators were unlucky not to widen the score with Farndell failing to hit the net from five yards out and Josling unlucky not to hit his second of the game. Man of the match was Birch.

PREDATORS: Williams, Irish, Farndell, Birch, Jukes, Oliver, Blackman, Rodway, Bosco-Brown, Josling, Hillier, Davies, Cook.