Youth football: Chichester and Barnham hit 12

editorial image

Wins for Chichester City Colts, Highdown Saints, Chichester City Youth and Barnham Trojans all feature in our first youth football round-up of 2013.

Get involved by sending your reports and team pictures to


Chichester City Colts 12 Whyke 2

Colts started 2013 in style with an emphatic win against their Chichester rivals.

After a fairly even first ten minutes with little goalmouth action, Colts took the lead when Dylan Smith scored at the far post, planting a header back across the keeper after a great run and cross from James Davies down the right.

Joseph Roman then took centre stage for Colts, notching his first of the game with a neat right-foot finish after being played clear.

Whyke responded straight from the kick-off with a long-range shot that found the corner of the Colts net, but this spurred the Colts on to greater things with Roman hitting a further three to take the game away from Whyke.

Colts increased their lead further when Glenn Johnson tapped a loose ball home after a scrambled corner. With half-time looming Fynn Turner-Kilburn scored his first of the game, quickly followed by Roman’s fifth goal of the half to leave the Colts 8-1 up at the break.

Colts increased their lead immediately from kick-off in the second half, Turner-Kilburn converting at the back post after a run and cross from Smith.

Roman completed a double hat-trick with another slick finish but Whyke responded with a goal after the Colts defence failed to clear their lines. But there was still time left for Turner Kilburn to score his third and fourth of the game to round things off in style.

Smith and Roman were named joint men of the match.

COLTS: Baxter, Hewitt, Johnson, Reading, Mead, Smith, Poole, Chambers, Roman, Davies, Turner-Kilburn, Doran, Carter.

Predators Youth 2 Highdown Saints 6 (aet)

Predator’ cup interest ended in a gruelling contest on a heavy pitch which exposed their lack of match fitness after a seven-week break.

Predators enjoyed the early possession with Alex Burford dominating the midfield but they were always susceptible to a breakaway and Connor Fellows, in goal, was called on to make several good saves to keep the scores level. But he was exposed once too often and Highdown took the lead.

With the final action of the first half Predators won a corner which Jordon Smith headed against the bar, leaving Dom Humphries to equalise as he put away the rebound with a powerful volley.

In the second half Predators passed the ball better and it was no surprise when they took the lead through Jordan Smith.

Predators sat back trying to hold on to their lead but this tactic backfired as Highdown came back strongly and equalised.

As extra-time loomed, both sides were looking increasingly weary and several chances were missed before the end of normal time.

Predators started extra time disastrously, leaking two quick goals from which they never recovered, leaving Highdown to win by a flattering four-goal margin.

The home team were well beaten by the end and relieved to hear the final whistle.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Burford, Butler, Clarke, Daniels, Donner, Hamilton, Hanslip, Humphries, McCabe, Sanctuary, Simmonds, Smith, Waldron.


Chi City 6 Lancing Rangers 3

The game started slowly but Lancing went in front after a mix-up in the city defence allowed their striker to skip through and slot past the keeper.

City levelled through George Cody with a run into the box and drive under the Lancing goalie.

Cody got his second when he was left free to run in from the wing and sidestepped the defence to slot in.

James Scutt picked up the ball on the halfway line and ran through to poke home and make it 3-1 at the break.

The second half started with some fine passing by City.

Man of the match Will Dry linked nicely with Joe Frampton and Patric Turner for some neat passing triangles around the Lancing players and had a dig from the edge of the area to curl one around the keeper.

Lancing replied, running straight through to beat Christy Carter in the City goal. Then they struck again with a cross into the box and a dink over the keeper to make it 4-3.

Chi rallied late on with Cody completing his hat-trick before Turner sent a great ball across the box for Zac Moy to tap in his 20th of the season

CITY: C Carter, W Hutchings, C East, J Amos, J Scutt, C Alfred, W Dry, A Shaw, D Macdonald, G Cody, Z Moy, J Frampton, S Culver, P Turner.


Worthing Town Youth Red 3 Chichester City Youth 5

Chichester put the long Christmas break behind them and enjoyed a well-deserved victory against Worthing.

They had to start the game with ten men and with Luke Romaine, returning from a long-term injury, acting as stand-in goalkeeper.

Chichester got off to a flying start with a strong move through the centre of the park by Josh Airton resulting in a well-taken early goal.

Jay Clarke and Tom Burden dominated midfield and they worked well together to set up a second goal for Airton.

His hat-trick came just before half-time as a well-delivered cross was flicked on to him by Justin Thorpe.

Defensively, the Chichester back three of George Conway, Matthew Hall and Harry Lidster were rarely challenged in the first half and reduced Worthing chances to a few scrappy efforts which were well-cleared.

Worthing changed things around at half-time and threw caution to the wind. A well-placed cross was headed into his own net by a Chichester player to make it 3-1 and Worthing pulled a second goal back minutes later through a well-placed shot from outside the area.

Chichester dug in and, still with ten men, had to step up a gear and work hard for possession and control.

Alex Smith’s work-rate had been high and his passing and movement was exceptional. He was rewarded with a goal from a well-taken shot to make it 4-2.

Worthing pulled a third goal back and made the last five minutes quite tense, but Clarke eventually settled nerves and wrapped up a 5-3 win.

CHICHESTER: Luke Romaine, George Conway, Matthew Hall, Harry Lidster, Alex Smith, Tom Burden, Jay Clarke, Justin Thorpe, Oliver Stonefrost, Josh Airton.


Chichester City Colts White 5 Wick Dynamos 0

On a misty January morning the Colts faced the Dynamos for the second time the season.

The first half came and went without much incident but the second started with the Colts getting a lucky break with an own goal.

That seemed to spur them on and they added another soon after. Jake O’Brennan was brought down in the box and converted his penalty after it was saved by the goalkeeper Ryan Johnson.

Rhys Rawlings and Taylor Scott all got on to the scoresheet to make it 5-0 to the Colts.

O’Brennan picked up the man-of-the-match award for his great work in the midfield.

CHICHESTER: Briant, Wilson, McGreal, Durmush, Rawlings, Johnson, Moore, Scott, Davy, O’Brennan.


Barnham Trojans Blue 12 Predators 0

Trojans got 2013 off to a flying start by scoring three quick goals in the first five minutes.

Barnham were passing the ball better than they have all season and were 9-0 up at half-time.

The second half started with Predators having a much better shape. This made it much harder for Barnham to open

up the defence but they scored another three in the second half.

Goals were scored by J Norris, H Terry (2), L Savoury (2), D Gogan (4), J Gibbs and L Dasilva (2).

BARNHAM: J Carruthers, J Norris, H Terry, J Gibbs, L Savoury, D Gogan, F Johnson, L Dasilva.