Youth football: Bognor’s big win... Trojans’ title triumph... Seals so close

Avisford under-11s (black and white) in charge against Worthing
Avisford under-11s (black and white) in charge against Worthing
  • Bognor belt nine past Chi
  • Trojans’ double joy
  • Seals can’t lift cup

Victories for Bognor, Barnham Trojans Blue and Selsey Seals feature in our latest youth football round-up.

Get involved by sending your match reports, plus pictures of league winners and cup finalists, to


Bognor Town 9 Chichester 0

Bognor dominated from the whistle with Will Lintott, Mason Haga Hammond, Ben Hauxwell and Johnny Pardey controlling midfield and linking well with Joe Bennett and Jack Parkinson.

Parkinson capitalised with a great through-ball by Bennett and when Chichester attempted to penetrate Bognor’s defence, Ben Greece-Harbour, Harley Bain, Kai Swanson and Rafael Lechkofski thwarted them.

Bennett received the ball out on the right and scored an absolute wonder goal. Parkinson put two past the Chichester keeper. Chichester battled well but Parkinson wasn’t to be denied another and scored his fourth, Bognor’s fifth.

After the interval, Bennett was next on the scoresheet with a simple goal. Oli Sullivan got in on the act with a great curler into the top corner.

Parkinson scored another two goals and the game ended with Scott making an amazing one-hand diving save.

BOGNOR: Scott, Bain, Bull, Lechkofski, Hauxwell, Haga Hammond, Wallers, Bennett, Swanson, Greece-Harber, Maple, Parkinson, Lintott, Pardey, Robey, Sullivan.


Barnham Trojans Blue completed their amazing 2014-15 season, winning the Arun and Chichester Youth League Cup to complete the double.

Having won the league earlier this month with 15 wins and one draw from 16 games, Trojans reached the cup final with three wins.

The opposition were Worthing Town Youth Blue – who Trojans had drawn with in their only non-win in the league.

The atmosphere at Arundel was amazing – more than 100 people were watching.

Worthing scored a quick goal against a napping Trojans after only five minutes of play and shot after shot from Trojans could not find the target.

After the break Trojans pushed Worthing back into their own half and penalty box.

After 50 minutes, Enrique Andrade-Paris drilled the ball into the net but it was ruled offside.

With just four minutes to go, Harry Terry’s free-kick took a slight deflection and went in to make it 1-1.

In extra time, Worthing were struggling to withstand the pressure and a lovely airborne pass from Terry found Toby Blanshard running into the penalty area. Blanshard took the ball on the half-volley and thumped it in.

The second half of extra-time saw a purposeful cross from Alfie Kyle find Blanshard in the penalty box and he knocked it in to make the final score 3-1.

The double is a fitting reward for all the boys, manager Duncan Terry and coaches Ernesto Andrade-Paris and Mike Norris.

TROJANS: Harry Terry, Jake Gibbs, Toby Blanshard, Danny Howick, Raife Locke, Jamie Norris, Jensen Carruthers, Leandro Da Silva, Morgan Mockford-Allett, Findlay Johnson, Alfie Kyle, Enrique Andrade-Paris.

Selsey Seals 4 Rustington Otters Green 1

Selsey Seals finished their season on a high to finish third in C division – outside the promotion places by one point.

This was a game of two halves thanks to a near gale-force wind blowing down the pitch.

In the first half, even against the wind, Selsey had their share of possession but found it difficult to get out of their half.

Worthing pushed and Jones was finally beaten after a string of fine saves.

After the break and with a strengthening wind, Selsey equalised within five minutes, Hains picking up a through-ball from Montague to beat the defender and slot past the onrushing keeper.

Grocott added a second after a neat passing passage through Weaver, Devlin, Thomkins and Trumper.

Hains got his second after a tackle from Darby-Ryan passed through Lennox, Drain, Ayling and Kidwell.

In the closing seconds Selsey got a fourth with a sidefoot into the top corner from an acute angle by Ayling after fine work from Hains and Devlin.

Worthing Town 5 Selsey Seals 1

Invitation Cup final

This proved a game too far for the Seals but proved a memorable day out at Arundel FC and a chance to meet the sponsor of the Saywell league who does so much for youth football in the area.

Selsey were undone when a through-ball put the pacy Worthing striker through on goal and he made no mistake.

Just before half-time, Selsey found themselves two down after an attempted clearance rebounded off the striker’s knee and in.

Worthing went three up with a clinical shot past Jones. Selsey finally got on the scoresheet after the ever-persistent Hains chased a through-ball and put it past the keeper.

Selsey were undone again by a rather harsh penalty which was dispatched to make it 4-1.

The fifth in the final minutes followed a penalty-box scramble.

Selsey Seals coach Paul Ayling reflecting on a successful season and thanked Nick ‘Taffy’ Grocott for his support at meetings and games this year, The Bay Wittering Victoria Balandis, and Glenn Ryan, Stuart Weaver, Stuart Montague, Scott Balandis and Neil Sherlock.

Ayling said: “All have supported me superbly throughout this year.”

Avisford Youth 2 Worthing United Colts 2

Avisford finished a difficult season in dramatic style as a late equaliser saved a point against fourth-placed Worthing.

In windy conditions at Rose Green both sides found it very hard to take control.

Avisford found the breakthrough ten minutes in. Wiktor Nowak’s long pass sprung the United offside trap and set Matt Kill through on goal, and the striker made no mistake and buried the ball past the keeper for his 14th of the season – a career-best return.

The black and whites looked comfortable with Worthing rarely threatening, but United found themselves level somewhat fortuitously when Aidan Lacey poked home.

The second half saw United commit more players forward and begin a sustained period of pressure on the Avisford goal. But inspired defending from Daniel Hall, Nowak and Jake Longley, making his 50th appearance for Avisford, kept them at bay.

Despite relentless Worthing pressure it took another huge slice of luck for the away side to take the lead. Morgan Steel’s long ball was caught by the wind and sailed over the despairing dive of Luke Salter.

A minute from time, Alfie Greene’s free-kick was charged down and in the ensuing scramble, the ball fell to Charlie Hunter. His low drive evaded the Worthing keeper and nestled in the bottom corner to spark celebrations.

Hunter could have won it at the death, but his attempted lob over the keeper was cleared.

AVISFORD: Salter, Hall, Nowak, Longley, Greene, Hunter, Copeland, Brian, Kill


Bognor Regis Town are looking for four players (current school Year 5) as they move up to nine-a-side football. For more information please text or call Ian Willkins on 07480 254047.