Young Rocks find it’s fun to play at the YMCA

The Rocks’ youth team travelled to mid-table Horsham YMCA for their first away game of the season – and came away with a well-earned 3-2 victory.

A 4-3-3 formation is starting to work for the team and early pressure paid off on nine minutes when Tom Lee-Smith followed up a shot from Aran McCarthy and curled one into the top corner from the edge of the box.

YMCA equalised in the 25th minute but a minute later McCarthy placed a low volley into the bottom corner from a measured cross by Joseph Matthews. The goal followed a five-pass move and typified the football being played by the team.

Defensive shuffling at half-time saw Jordan Harrison take over at right-back with Wes Robinson switching to left-back following the withdrawal of the injured Rob Berryman.

YMCA came out strong and on 65 minutes they equalised again after a mistake at the back.

Tyler Hope and Jamie Hanson came on for Jack Skeites and Matthews and the visitors’ superiority was restored. Hope, McCarthy and Ollie Pearce all went close to grabbing the winner.

YMCA had chances too but McCarthy was the hero when he struck in the 90th minute to win the game for Bognor.

BOGNOR: Neale, Robinson, Poole, Skeites, Berryman, Lee-Smith, Kilhams, A Pearce, O Pearce, Matthews, McCarthy. Subs: Harrison, Hope, Hanson.

Arundel Youth 1 Barnham Youth 4

Barnham started the stronger, keeping possession for long periods, and on a number of occasions they threatened to score but couldn’t finish.

Arundel had a single shot from the edge of the box which flew into the net, giving keeper Joe Dubben no chance.

The second half again saw Barnham on the offensive and a Ben Perkins corner threaded through a number of Arundel defenders only to be deflected for an own goal and the equaliser.

Barnham’s Pete Dearden increased the away side’s lead with a run on goal and a fine strike into the corner.

A superb Ben Perkins run and cross fell invitingly for Markie Gilbert, who executed a superb volley from close range to give Barnham a two-goal lead.

Arundel lost a man to a straight red card and Chris Wagstaff, who had come on for Barnham as a late sub, received the ball in the Arundel area, turned chipped the ball past a defender and sent a superb shot into the far corner for the away side’s fourth.

Barnham thoroughly deserved the win with a solid performance.

BARNHAM: Dubben, Perkins, Richards, Davidson, Roberts, Harrison, Menzies, Taylor, Gilbert, Dearden, Bennett. Sub: Wagstaff.