Wimble pounces to give Selsey bragging rights over City

Action from Selsey's win over Chichester City at the High Street Ground  Picture by Chris Hatton
Action from Selsey's win over Chichester City at the High Street Ground Picture by Chris Hatton

SELSEY collected their first league win of the season on Tuesday with a 2-1 success over Chichester in division one of the Sussex League.

In an entertaining contest, there were numerous chances during the first half but the score remained goalless.

City’s Morgan Forry had a shot cleared off the line by Jack Bingham on seven minutes, and four minutes later Joe Gromett had plenty of time to plant the ball past the stranded Sam Joyce but hit the post instead.

Gromett was then foiled by Tom Broadbent who came to the rescue with the Selsey keeper beaten.

Selsey had their share of chances too, with Rob Wimble’s speculative punt going close on 30 minutes and a driven shot by Ross Woolf forcing Anthony Ender to parry the ball five minutes before the interval.

Play settled down in the second half, but on 59 minutes an horrendous back pass placed the ball straight in the path of Wimble and the Selsey striker made no mistake with the gift opportunity.

Chichester responded well and in the 81st minute Forry broke down the left and rifled in the equaliser.

But with four minutes remaining, City conceded a free-kick on the left which led to the winning goal.

Woolf’s delivery into a crowded area took a couple of deflections with Wimble claiming the goal - although Chichester’s Luke Killner appeared to be the last player to make contact with the ball.

Afterwards, winning boss Adam Hinshelwood said: “Both sides badly wanted to win and it was a hard-fought match. I thought the game was heading for a draw, but it was one of those matches where a single mistake would decide it.”

With Chichester still searching for their opening victory of the season, joint boss Sean Forry was disappointed not to get anything out of it.

“We made a couple of mistakes and were punished for them,” he said. “I don’t know what to say but perhaps a draw would have been a fair result after all the chances we had.”

Selsey: Joyce, Haggar, Bingham, Heggarty, Williamson, Broadbent, Woolf, Wood, Wimble, Bugiel, Giambelardini. Subs: Parsons, Richards.

City: Ender, F Smith, Spencer, Heath, Hibbert, Case, Groom, Killner, Gromett, Blatchford, Forry. Subs: Potter, Manners.

There were comprehensive defeats for City and Selsey last weekend.

Chichester were rushed off their feet during the early stages of their 4-1 reversal at Ringmer.

Anthony Ender - making his first appearance as goalkeeper for three years - was called into action almost immediately to tip a Seb Saunders header over the bar.

A few minutes later Jack McLean broke through one-on-one versus Ender to strike Ringmer’s opening goal and, with the game only ten minutes old, Louis Pople then made it 2-0. The relentless pressure continued, with a Saunders effort being ruled out for offside before Pople netted again, this time from a rebound.

City were thrown a lifeline when Seb Saunders was red-carded for retaliation against Luke Killner.

Playing down the slope, Chichester were far more competitive in the second half although another goal from McLean on 64 minutes put the match well beyond the visitors’ reach.

Jack Blatchford unleashed a decent shot on 71 minutes, and Joe Gromett – who has been impressing for Bognor’s under-18s – charged forward to threaten the Ringmer goal.

In a late flurry of action, McLean was denied a hat-trick by Matt Boulton’s goal-line clearance and from the rebound Austin Essam missed a sitter. Then, in the third minute of added time, Gromett headed in City’s consolation goal from close range.

City: Ender, F Smith, Boulton, Heath, Hibbert, Case, Groom, Killner, Gromett, Blatchford, Forry. Subs: Lee-Smith, Manners.

Selsey were victims of the Phil Gault show at Hassocks - he scored four as the hosts won 5-0.

This weekend, Chichester go to Crowborough in the John O’Hara Cup but Selsey don’t play.