West Sussex League football: Bosham are bashed at Beeding

Defeats for Bosham and Lancing and mixed results for Chapel all feature in this week’s round-up from our local West Sussex Football League teams.

Upper Beeding 3 Bosham 2

West Sussex League premier div

Rob Hare nodded in a late winner for Upper Beeding to leave Bosham devastated as hopes of title glory took another huge dent.

The hosts edged a tough encounter at the Memorial Ground to hand firm advantage to Cowfold, who will be champions if they can hold their nerve in the run-in.

The Yellows started brightly and Jamie Rowland had an excellent chance after only two minutes to put Beeding in front.

The midfielder had the goal at his mercy but, instead of finding the target, ballooned his effort over the bar.

The height and pace of the hosts was difficult for Bosham to adjust to and Luke Mitchell always had an edge.

Close to the half-hour, Beeding deservedly took the lead as Rowland made up for his earlier wasteful effort. Bosham got in a muddle at the back and keeper Simon Hasted attempted to clear with his weaker left foot only for ball to ricochet off Rowland’s back and in.

Midfielder Tom West looked sharp and his pace was a problem for the Reds. Before the break he was involved in Rowland doubling

the Yellows’ lead. Having fed Rowland in the box, the Bosham players momentarily stopped, half expecting a whistle for a foul which never came. Rowland took full advantage to slot home .

The second half saw Bosham improve and just after the hour, Matt Docherty headed them back into contention. A corner was swung in by Neil Redman and Docherty smashed in his header from a soaring leap.

Ten minutes later, Bosham were back on level terms. James Bracher reacted well to a long clearance from Hasted to latch on to the bouncing ball and chip onrushing keeper Ciaran Twose to make it 2-2.

Mitchell was a key man in the goal that would take the spoils for Upper Beeding. Mitchell surged down the left, avoiding tackles and whipping in a low drive from the by-line. Rowland brought a brilliant point-blank save out of Hasted, but Hare snapped up the rebound to score.

Bosham failed to find their way back in it and now live in hope that a miracle can come their way in the last couple of weeks

of the season.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Probee, Jack Hancock, Blanshard, Evans, Docherty, Redman, Wilson, Bracher, Joe Hancock, Brett. Subs: Desai, Ash, Fewell.

Lavant 1 Faygate Utd 4

Premier div

The scoreline belied the close nature of this game.

Lavant, with a new formation designed for this match, dominated the first 20 minutes, but failed to score.

Faygate looked dangerous only from set-pieces and it was from a free-kick that the ball was lofted into the Lavant penalty area and fortuitously fell at the feet of Danny Smith to give Faygate the lead seconds before half-time.

The home side overcame the psychological disadvantage of that half-time goal to equalise through Mike Neville on 70 minutes after a nimble piece of wing work by James Sandford.

The turning point came two minutes later when Lavant allowed Leigh Thompson to put the visitors back in front.

From then, Lavant had to take risks to chase the game. The visitors put the match beyond their rivals when Smith was brought down in the box and Thompson buried the penalty kick in the 82nd minute.

As Lavant threw all forward, Thompson completed his hat-trick in the last minute.

Lavant manager David Parker said: “We are playing well, but must learn how to close the game after scoring. The second goal we conceded was totally unprofessional.”

LAVANT: Sanson; Purgavie, Wright, Lyttle; Gabb, Brooks, Stevens, Knight, Neville; Smith, Sandford. Sub: McClean, Lilleywhite, Bayliss.

Felpham Colts Res 4 Chapel 1

Division five southAfter splashing about in water a week earlier, this game was played on a rock-hard pitch which made it difficult for both sides to control a bouncing ball.

Felpham had the better of the first half and took the lead after 17 minutes, springing the offside trap, and a second followed in the same manner within five minutes.

Chapel threatened briefly but always looked vulnerable to the through-ball and after 43 minutes, the home side should have gone further ahead but blasted a penalty high over the bar. Two minutes later, Felpham made it 3-0.

The second half was much more even and although the home side got a fourth after 65 minutes from the spot, Chapel got a consolation in the closing minutes from the persistent Ben Mariner.

Chapel 4 Stedham Res 1

Division five south

A young Stedham side started in a lively manner and were awarded a penalty after five minutes for a clumsy trip but it was sent over the bar.

The visitors took the lead after 11 minutes and it stayed that way until Chapel were awarded a penalty two minutes before half-time which Carver converted.

Carver broke through to lob the keeper in 49th minute. Ten minutes later, Fox scored with a fine header from a free-kick. Both sides had chances before Carver completed his hat-trick to settle the game in the 75th minute.