SELSEY have already had half-a-dozen expressions of interest in their vacant manager’s job after the resignation of Richard Towers.
And after going through four managers in three years, the Blues are hoping their next appointment can turn out to be a long-term one.
Towers quit on Saturday, telling the club he did not feel it was in anyone’s interests for him to continue.
He cited a recent health problem plus other issues away from football and said he was not looking for another job in football management.
Selsey chairman David Lee said Towers left with the club’s best wishes and said he was confident the squad would stay together and go on to be successful under a new manager they hoped to appoint by the end of next week.
First-team coach Ryan Pharo, who guided Selsey to a series of good results when Towers was away early this season, has thrown his hat into the ring, and will take on caretaker management duties with help from Callum Britton.
And Lee said another five people had already contacted him to say they’d like the manager’s job.
Towers was Selsey’s fourth manager since long-term incumbent Danny Hinshelwood quit three years ago.
Gary Block took over from him but left after less than a year, passing the reins on to Ian Martin.
After a season in charge, he was replaced by Adam Hinshelwood, who guided the Blues to a cup final before moving to Ryman League side Burgess Hill. Towers took over only in the summer.
Lee said: “Richard has said he feels he is not in the right frame of mind to carry on with the job and is not getting the enjoyment from the position of first-team manager he feels he should.
“He has told the club he does not feel totally committed to the position and is not looking to continue in football management.
“He had a health problem a while back and he feels this may have had an effect on the way he has been doing the job.
“Richard is in good health, but by his own admission he must take things a bit easier than perhaps he used to.
“The club would like to thank Richard for his time and effort while he has been manager of Selsey FC and we wish him well for the future.”
Selsey have had a difficult start to the season and Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at St Francis - where they lost to a 51st-minute Aaron Walsh goal - left them fifth from bottom of Sussex League division one.
The Blues host Sidley on Saturday with Pharo and Britton at the helm but have no scheduled game after that for a fortnight, giving the club time to get the new man appointed and working with the players.
Lee said: “I don’t think we’ll lose players - they seem content. Ryan and Callum will keep things ticking over until we know what we’re going to do.
“The managers we lost have gone for a variety of reasons but of course you always hope your next one will be a long-term one who can help the continuity of the club.
“We don’t have the resources of some other clubs at this level but we have a super youth set-up - about 250 kids play for our Seals, from under-five and six through to under-18s. There is a lot of football talent in Selsey which we want to help prosper.”
* Anyone who wishes to be considered for the manager’s position should contact David Lee at email@example.com or on 07867 508223.