Super Selsey leave Crawley down... Midhurst make merry

Mark Thompson (blue shirt) chases possession for Selsey against Crawley Down Gatwick / Picture by Kate Shemilt
Mark Thompson (blue shirt) chases possession for Selsey against Crawley Down Gatwick / Picture by Kate Shemilt

TWO of our local Southern Combination division-one sides were celebrating much needed wins in the latest round of games - Selsey and Midhurst both triumphing 2-1.

Here are the reports...

Selsey 2 Crawley Down Gatwick 1

Southern Combination division one

Selsey bounced back from their disappointing 5-0 defeat against Storrington to beat high-flying Crawley Down Gatwick at the High Street Ground.

Crawley started as the better side with Dave Houlders, Oli Leslie and Ben Brooker all testing goalkeeper Lewis Boughton.

The Blues took the lead with their first attack of the game as young Ben Mepham broke through the Crawley defence to finish past Andrew Greaves.

Brooker thought he had drawn the Anvils level before half-time but his goal was disallowed for offside, much to the disbelief of the away bench.

The visitors continued to press in the second half and were rewarded when Luke Trotter fired the ball home after good play by Leslie and Houlders.

With five minutes to go, Selsey snatched the win as David Rough found space from a free-kick to slide the ball home for a precious victory that moves Steve Bailey’s side six points clear of the relegation zone.

Manager Bailey said: “We can never stop checking over our shoulder. We are, however, improving and Saturday was a culmination of recent weeks to earn a thoroughly-deserved win.”

SELSEY: Boughton; Low, Parsons, Lintott, Kilhams; Corell, Lempriere, Rough, Turner; Morey, Mepham.


Midhurst 2 Seaford Town 1

Southern Combination division one

Midhurst moved out of the relegation zone with a vital victory over fellow strugglers Seaford at Rotherfield.

Both teams were without a win since November and looked to be short of confidence in the first half as they went in goalless, with neither goalkeeper tested.

After the interval Midhurst began to turn the screw, and took the lead when Luke Sheldrick was played in by Scott Dormer, with a hint of offside, before finishing well from a tight angle.

Town responded shortly afterwards when Billy Pout fired home a free-kick against the post that hit goalkeeper Aaron Jeal before finding the net.

With five minutes remaining, the Stags scored the decisive goal as Dormer raced on to a through-ball to finish from another tight angle.

The win moved Midhurst one point above Steyning Town, although Town have five games in hand.

Midhurst manager John Suter said: “The win was certainly a rare occasion. It was our first game since December and we had five débutants.

“All the lads worked their socks off and I’m delighted with the result.”

MIDHURST: Jeal; Pattison, O’Leary, Chaplin, Hunt; Shuga’a, Dormer, Stevens, Morris; Hamilton, Sheldrick.


Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!