Story of game is all-too-familiar for Chichester City

Ken Hagan couldn't prevent a Chichester City defeat to East Grinstead  Picture by Louise Adams
Ken Hagan couldn't prevent a Chichester City defeat to East Grinstead Picture by Louise Adams

It was the same old story at Oaklands Park with Chichester holding their opponents in the first half before getting well beaten after the interval, East Grinstead running out 4-1 winners in the Sussex League division-one clash.

The twist in the tale was City coming out and took the lead on 47 minutes, although it proved to be short-lived.

City had Perry Northeast back following his lay-off through injury.

The first half lacked thrills, with a battle for midfield supremacy taking most of the limelight.

There was a scare in the opening moments when Wasps’ Brendan Sebuliba sent in a shot from the left wing that Ken Hagan cleared off the line.

EG had another chance on 21 minutes when Tom Saunders just headed over, while the best City could offer was a hopeful penalty appeal when Dan Watts fell over inside the box.

The second half had barely started when City went ahead. The ball was played into the path of Watts, who ran on towards goal and coolly placed his shot past Seb Bos.

Two minutes later the Wasps were level when a melee in the home goalmouth led to Matt Evans only half-clearing the ball to Kane Covele, who rammed it in.

On 62 minutes, Michael Belli was brought down by Julian Boniface while charging inwards from the left, leading to a spot-kick converted by Steve Major.

A wicked cross gave Sam Cane the opportunity to make the game safe for the Wasps, but he was left red-faced after trying a spectacular bicycle-kick and missing the ball altogether.

But on 70 minutes it was 3-1 to the visitors and all over. The goal was identical to the previous one.

With 16 minutes remaining, Major claimed his hat-trick by lobbing the keeper to ensure Grinstead leapfrogged over City in the league standings and pushed them into the relegation zone.

CITY: Evans, Cody, Northeast, Hagan, Boniface, Bradshaw, D Smith, T Smith, Forry, Dormer, Watts. Subs: Parsons, Baker, Knight.


* On Tuesday night Scott Dormer’s hat-trick three times put City ahead against Horsham YMCA but again City couldn’t sustain their first=half performance and ended up losing 6-3.