Staggering start with Stags for hat-trick king Asare

Any supporter who was late for the 2pm start would have missed a goal in the fourth minute as Michael Asare put Midhurst on their way to a 4-3 victory over Steyning – and himself on course for a debut hat-trick.

Asare was playing his first game for Midhurst following his transfer from Wick and he was joined by new signings Glen Davidson and Sam Coppard.

Midhurst manager Trevor Waller has been busy trying to bolster his team and at long last things are improving.

Asare’s early strike came when he collected a pass by Ollie Rowland and ran at the Steyning defence, who could not counter his pace.

Ten minutes had passed when Steyning drew level, Alan Burton taking advantage of confusion in the Midhurst defence and keeper Coppard unable to prevent a goal. On 15 minutes Paul Williamson broke away from his marker to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

Steyning’s keeper prevented several goal attempts by the Midhurst attack.

Ten minutes after the break Midhurst replaced Jon Silver with Tom Morrison and Steyning sent on Steve Burton in place of Lee Finney.

The Midhurst supporters were giving plenty of vocal support and the players were responding. Harry Menha was noticable for his work-rate and he was rewarded when he intercepted a back pass by a Steyning defender and hooked the ball over the keeper’s head.

Oliver Pearce came on for Liam Dreckman after 65 minutes and five minutes later Asare ran at the defence and rounded the keeper to put the Stags in front.

Williamson broke clear of his marker to level for Steyning with seven minutes left - before the best goal of the match saw Asare score his hat-trick.

The 4-3 scoreline must give Midhurst supporters and players hope for their next game, at home to Little Common on Saturday (2pm).

MIDHURST: Coppard, Castleton, Dummer, Davidson, Reilly, Saunders, Asare, Rowland, Silver, Menha, Dreckman. Subs: Pearce, Marrison, Page.

Midhurst seconds lost 6-1 at Ferring. They visit Storrington this Saturday.