Sids strike ... misery for Midhurst

Sidlesham try to outnumber Southwick in their draw at the Selsey Road Rec  Picture by Louise Adams C140241
Sidlesham try to outnumber Southwick in their draw at the Selsey Road Rec Picture by Louise Adams C140241

There were differing fortunes for Sidlesham and Midhurst as they returned to league action after long weather-enforced breaks.

Sidlesham 1 Southwick 1

Sussex League division three

The Sids were looking for three more valuable points in their push for promotion but could have found themselves a goal down after only three minutes as Southwick broke through but just failed to score as the ball clipped the post.

Two minutes later the Sids had a chance to take the lead but the keeper block the shot.

The Sids were creating good chances but failing to take any of them, while Southwick were making a game of it.

The second half saw a Southwick forward tripped on 50 minutes and from the free-kick, the Sids keeper tipped the ball on to the crossbar. As the Sids defence hesitated, a Southwick player reacted quickest and put the ball past the keeper to put them 1-0 up.

In response, the Sids pushed forward and on 62 minutes, the ball was played into the Southwick goalmouth and a Southwick player handled the ball to give away a penalty. John Phillips stepped up to put the ball into the top corner.

The Sids brought on Alex Pearce and went all out for the winning goal but with chances not being taken, Dean Platt and Steve Williams were brought on to add more firepower up front.

Southwick’s keeper was in fine form, though, and the Sids missed another great chance to secure the points.

Credit must go to referee Bob Minty for his handling of the match .

SIDS: Rochester, Low, Carrigher, Jefkins, Cowell, Grantham, Kelly, Hounsome, Phillips, Millins, Smith, Williams, Platt, Pearce, Cohen.

This Saturday, the Sids are away to Uckfield.

Little Common 2 Midhurst 0

Sussex League division two

A LONG-AWAITED return to action for Midhurst was not a winning one as thet lost out to their sixth-placed hosts.

A different line-up sparked hopes this may bring about a winning result but the 2-0 scoreline left Midhurst disappointed.

An early goal by midfielder Steve Morris - who found the net after just four minutes - didn’t help and shortly afterwards Midhurst captain Gary Norgate was thwarted by Steve Mote’s last-ditch tackle.

Like many other teams, Little Common’s pitch was badly affected by the weather and the bumpy nature of it unsettled Midhurst more than it did the home team.

Midhurst looked more organised after positional changes were made at the break. But Morris doubled his and Little Common’s tally.

Midhurst brought on Tom Merritt-Smith and Callum Dowdell in place of Mark Pelling and Jimmy Turner, but there was no way back into it.

This week will be a testing game as the team visit Eastbourne United for a Division Two Cup game. Eastbourne currently top the division with 51 points from 20 games.

MIDHURST: Knight, Castleton, Renshaw, White, Hill, Hyde, Pelling, Peck, Sheldrick, Norgate, Turner. Subs: Dowdell, Merritt-Smith.