Pirates stop Fountain’s flow to Court a little Sunday Cup success

editorial image

Nyetimber Pirates passed their toughest test to date when they beat Fountain Court 4-2 in the first round of the Carlsberg FA Sunday Cup at Nyewood Lane.

Fountain Court went into the game having lost only once in three years.

The visitors came out stong and looked every inch Southampton & District League champions and they were one up within five minutes after some clever play allowed Sean Stone the time to blast past Jamie Walter in the Pirates goal.

The superb combination of Dougie Peach and Ted Griffin in the middle for Pirates got into gear and started to get the ball to wingers Sean Williamson and Stairs, who started to cause Fountain Court problems.

Kerry Hardwell could have equalised on 35 minutes when he broke free but he was denied by a superb save by Moss in the FC goal.

Soon Dean Cooper struck the post, leaving Jack Stairs with an open goal - but he steered wide from close range.

The equaliser came when Hardwell got above the FC defence to nod home on the stroke of half-time.

For the second half, Ash Hunter returned from injury replacing the solid Matt Carter at left-back.

Pirates went straight at FC and were 2-1 ahead when Williamson broke free and raced in on goal, slotting home with ease.

It was 3-1 as Williamson broke free again for a carbon copy of his first and he made no mistake as he smashed home much to the delight of the 90-plus Pirates fans.

Fountain Court pushed to get back into the game but the defensive trio of Carrott, Palmer and Tribe and a string of Walter saves kept the Pirates two ahead.

Cooper and Hardwell’s hard work paid off when Cooper was brought down in the box on 76 minutes leaving referee Lloyd Rendell to point to the spot. Hardwell stepped up and sent Moss the wrong way.

Fountain Court weren’t finished yet and went four up front and battered the Pirates with attack after attack. MoM Walter made even more spectacular saves and Pirates brought on Bishop and Ludlow as they looked to tighten up. Pirates won another penalty but Hardwell’s kick was saved by Moss.

Fountain Court pulled one back through Lee Burch on 91 minutes.

PIRATES: Walter, Carter, Palmer, Tribe, Carrott, Stairs, Griffin, Peach, Williamson, Cooper, Hardwell. Subs: Hunter, Ludlow, Bishop, Vevers, Thomas.

Elmer 7 LG Utd 1

Charity Cup second round

In a repeat of last season’s Ken Baker Memorial Cup final, Elmer gave LG another seven-goal lesson. Debutant Jamie Greenhill grabbed the limelight with a stunning hat-trick. Elmer were quickly rewarded for including five attackers when Tyler Hope crashed one in on five minutes following great work from James Ford.

Early superiority was rewarded when they were awarded a free-kick outside the box by excellent referee Lisa Benn on 18 minutes. Skipper Neale Watts set up Greenhill to double the lead.

Elmer were brought down to earth when a misunderstanding between keeper Steve Nanson and debutant Aaron Geall left LG to halve the deficit.

Stung, Elmer hit another two before half-time with Matt Hope and Greenhill making it 4-1 at the break.

Great Enoch Kwoffie build-up work led to Ford making it five.

Kwoffie struck Elmer’s sixth on 54 minutes thanks to a great opening made by Matt Hope. The final goal came in the last minute when Greenhill wrapped up his hat-trick following impressive work from Kwoffie.

In the quarter-finals Elmer will face The Old Barn or Nyetimber Pirates.