Pagham are poor - but they’ve just enough to beat Chichester

editorial image

Action involving Pagham Youth, Chichester City Colts, Pagham Colts, Predators, Whyke, Midhurst & Easebourne, Chi City Colts, Barnham Trojans and Felpham Colts features in our latest youth football round-up.


Pagham Youth 2 Chichester City Colts 1

Depsite their win, this was a poor match by Pagham’s standards as a motivated Colts side consistently frustrated them in all areas of the park.

Pagham scored first when Rory Wood put away a Jack Barnes corner. Pagham remained generally on top but couldn’t finish and a wonder goal by Harry Crocker drew Colts level at the end of the first half.

The second half was a repeat of the first as Colts continued to thwart Pagham but Luke Vincent put Pagham ahead following a mazy dribble from Charlie Richardson’s quick throw-in.

PAGHAM: Carter, Strachan, Taunton, Gosbee, Barnes, Hurford, Poole, Game, Lane, Vincent, Wood, W Richardson, C Richardson.

Lancing Rangers 1 Pagham Colts 0

This was a close, hard fought match that was always likely to be decided by a single goal.

In blustery conditions Pagham twice went close in the first half from corner kicks.

One saw the ball fall loose in the six-yard box but both Dan Gonzalez and Billy Stevens’s efforts were blocked. Then Ryan Barratt had a header just off-target. Shortly after this Barratt had to leave the field following a nasty clash of heads.

In the second half Lancing scored the decisive goal. A shot from the edge of the area that was heading wide took a cruel deflection off a defender and found the corner.

Pagham pressed for an equaliser but Gonzalez shot wide. Lancing had an opportunity for a second but Lewis Tribe produced a fine save from a free-kick.

PAGHAM: Tribe, Marland, Shea, Barratt, Carter, Haines, Watson, VanDriel, Parham, Gonzalez, Stevens, Kitchener.


Predators Youth 5 Worthing Rebels 0

Predators continued their run of victories with this comfortable win.

Windy conditions made it hard but in the 25th minute, a corner from Farndell was headed in by Irish.

In the second half Predators took full advantage of having the wind with them and Davies scored a great goal, his first since joining Predators last year.

Farndell and Irish both hit the crossbar. Rebels could not penetrate the Predators defence, leaving keeper, Williams with little to do.

A through-ball from Irish saw Josling get his first and it wasn’t long before Irish set up Josling for his second.

Predators were awarded a penalty but Blackman shot wide. Irish took the game out of Rebels’ reach hitting his second. Man of the match was Hillier.

PREDATORS: Williams, Farndell, Josling, Irish, Blackman, Bosco-Brown, Hillier, Davies, Rodway, Furlong, Birch.

Whyke 1 Midhurst & Easebourne 2

Midhurst had the majority of play in the first half but Whyke scored against the run of play then looked the team wanting the win.

End-to-end football continued with Will Murphy working hard in midfield for Midhurst. Liam Field-Millard scored the equaliser just before half-time.

Midhurst stepped up their game and with Jake Burtoo marked out of the game, Field-Millard scored a second five minutes into the second half.

MIDHURST: Collins-Powell, S Cain, Largan, Wysocki, Thompson, Field-Millard, Murphy, Papaj, Mepham, Thornley, Burtoo, Greet, C Cain, Warren.

Worthing Town 0 Pagham 6

Pagham scored the first goal after 21 minutes when a good move down the right saw Lane and Cleall tee up Knight, whose first-time cross was met at the far post by Misselbrook’s volley.

Pagham started the second half in a more positive mood and a Knight corner was met by Standen’s bullet header.

Five minutes later Standen’s through-ball to Knight made it three before Mulcahy’s header put Knight through for the fourth.

Arnell’s 30-yarder from Lane’s throw made it 5-0 and Cleall’s volley from Knight’s corner completed the rout.

PAGHAM: Hambidge, Mulcahy, Oliver, Paul, Cleall, Misselbrook, Knight, Smith, Standen, Arnell, Sheehan, Lane, Urbanczyk.


Chi City Colts Red 7 Whyke Utd 1

This was the last game of the season for the Colts and they saved the best ’til last.

Colts soon went in front with a well-worked goal from McGregor. Good play in midfield allowed Newman to get his first.

Whyke were soon undone again by a huge goal-kick from keeper French which Newman ran on to for his second.

Whyke came back with a goal before a pinpoint pass from Pulleyblank set up a goal for Earl.

The second half saw Whyke withstand the pressure until Newman took a chance well for his hat-trick then got his fourth.

Finally a run from Earl ended in a cross being deflected in off a Whyke player.

CHI CITY: French, Brooker, Warner, McGreal, Swift, Wilson, Kemp, Pulleyblank, Earl, McGregor, Newman, Bramley Ayre, Goodall, Wilson.


Felpham Colts Youth 3 Predators 0

Felpham began with slick football that was almost immediately rewarded when a left-foot strike outside the box by captain Luke Kearns hit the post and rolled agonisingly across the face of goal.

They created another flowing move that gave the industrious Jonny Prior the chance to find Kearns outside the box and a sweet strike found the bottom corner.

Kearns linked well with the midfield of Prior, Sonny Phelan and Ellie Shimell and after another move, Phelan broke clear and coolly finished.

A third came when Sam Monk dispossessed Predators in their half and a quick one-two with Phelan allowed Monk to stab home.

Predators matched Felpham after the interval, bringing a smart save from keeper Louis McMullon. But solid defence by Hannah Hendrick meant they were kept at bay.

FELPHAM: McMullon, Hendrick, Kearns, Shimell, Monk, Prior, Phelan.


Felpham Colts 6 Barnham Trojans 0

After dropping points in their last two games, Felpham returned to winning ways with a 6-0 win against the Trojans.

The Colts soon went ahead when Harry Geall slotted home after good teamwork. Geall got his second when he ran at the defence and smashed home a beauty.

With defence and midfield controlling the match, Luke Hubbard scored with a fine shot which gave the keeper no chance. With a 3-0 half-time lead, numerous changes were made and everyone played their part.

Hubbard soon got his second when his powerful left-foot shot found the net. Cian Markie grabbed a goal when he fired home from a tight angle.

With Rhys Nicholas and Luke Dent working superbly up front, Hubbard created the goal of the game when he squared for Geall to complete his hat-trick.

Credit goes to Barnham for their effort and attitude and especially the keeper who was outstanding for them.

Felpham man of the match was Dent.

FELPHAM: Cogger, Partridge, Searle, Hubbard, Mines, Walker, Dent, Nicholas, Geall, Blunt, Kearns, Markie.

Barnham Troj 0 Chichester City Colts 2

Chichester City Colts came out on top when they visited Barnham Trojans.

It was 0-0 at half-time, with Tom Davy and Paddy McGreal defending well for Chichester.

After the break, Barnham had a wind-assisted effort go just wide, then with eight minutes left Joshua Durmush made a mazy run through the defence and finished superbly.

Two minutes from time Barnham won a penalty and Jake O’Brennan converted it to make sure of the points for the Colts.

Joseph Osmend claimed the man-of-the-match award but everyone did their bit.

CHICHESTER: Briant, McGreal, Lewis, Durmush, O’Brennan, Hawkins, Osmend, Wilson Warrington, Davy.