Lavant happy at Hunston ... Bosham roar to beat Ringmer

Matt Docherty beats Tom Kelly to the ball in the recent Bosham-Wittering game  Picture by Louise Adams
Matt Docherty beats Tom Kelly to the ball in the recent Bosham-Wittering game Picture by Louise Adams

Lavant won at Hunston Community Club, Bosham eased past Ringmer, Wittering won at Wisborough - and Petworth’s veterans brought a trophy back across the Channel in the latest round of games involving West Sussex League clubs.

Hunston CC 1 Lavant 2

West sussex League premier division

The league leaders entertained Lavant but it was the visitors who controlled the first half with organised defending and speedy counter attacks.

Rob Chiverton in the Hunston goal pulled off impressive saves from Ryan Seacombe and Louis Weller.

But when Matt Lyttle swung in a corner, Mike Bartley headed Lavant in front after only six minutes.

The same routine was replicated for captain Matt Stevens to head the second in off the bar just before the quarter-hour.

A corner at the other end found Nathan Agate strike from a narrow angle but Lavant keeper Neil Sanson pulled off a fine save. It was Hunston’s only serious threat of the first half.

At the restart, Weller on 54 minutes and Seacombe on 61 forced two fine saves from Chiverton. But the momentum was with the home side who capitalised when Leeroy Sweeney pulled them back into the game with a low powerful shot in the 65th minute.

Lavant soaked up pressure and both Seacombe and Sweeney missed sitters in the final seconds as Lavant picked up a vital three points.

HUNSTON: Chiverton; O’Hala, Lomas, Gilbert, M Walker; Harding, Bornand, Stanley, Molnar; Sweeney, Agate. Subs: G Walker, Hughes.

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Purgavie, Wright, Lyttle; Neville, McClean, Stevens, Bartley, Weller; Seacombe. Sub: Latham.

Send your West Sussex League and cup reports to - 5pm Monday is the deadline

Bosham 5 Ringmer Res 0

Sussex Intermediate Cup

Determined Bosham side came out in focused mood to face county league reserve premier division side Ringmer.

They worked hard throughout to keep and pass the ball at a high tempo to make it difficult for their opponents.

The hard work paid off shortly before the half-hour when Nick Edgington, influential and impressive in his first game since pre-season, scored with an impudent chip over the keeper to get the Robins up and running.

After a stagnant period for the Robins, they doubled their lead through Neil Redman. Right on half-time the diminutive striker lashed in a drive after excellent work down the flank from James Bracher.

Bosham boss Tony Hancock made some minor adjustments to his team’s play after the break and it reaped rewards.

The impressive Joe Hancock received the ball on the edge of the area and laid the ball off to Andy Probee, who drove home a screamer from 25 yards, the keeper left with no chance.

Bosham kept up the search for goals and the scoring was increased with only five minutes left when Brett Greenhalf, just off the bench for his debut, was on hand to guide in an effort from Bracher.

The fifth and final strike came from a neat move that ended in Hancock receiving the ball just outside the box and weave his way around a couple of Ringmer players to blast a great shot against the underside of the bar.

The ball fell at the feet of Bracher, who slotted easily into the net.

Manager Hancock said; “This was a very impressive team performance - we went about our business in just the way we like to play our football and got our just rewards for our efforts.”

Bosham: Hasted; Redman; Docherty; Blanshard; Brett; Probee; Wilson; Edgington; Joe Hancock; Bracher; Redman. Subs: Davies, Greenhalf, Mullen, Ash, Fewell.


Wisborough Green 0 Wittering Utd 1

Centenary Cup

Holders Wittering progressed to the second round of the Centenary Cup.

The Reds went close first when Darran Cox fired inches past the post from a Tom Jefkins through-ball.

It was very scrappy but Barry McCoy went close next after bursting out of defence to hit a rocket from 30 yards that was expertly tipped over.

The Warriors were dealt a double blow when Joe Newton and Dan Cowell picked up injuries. Newton has pulled his groin and Cowell pulled his thigh so both could be missing for a few weeks. David Kennard and Paul Cooper replaced them with Spencer Stent reverting to left back.

The second half saw the Warriors start with more conviction and the goal eventually came in the 67th minute when good work from Paul Cooper put in Darran Cox, who fired in a low cross that was turned into the net by the Wisborough full-back.

Spencer Stent cleared one chance with his head while Ash Rochester made a smart low save.

Man of the match was Stent

WITTERING: Rochester, Stent, Cowell (Kennard), Smith, McCoy, J Jefkins (Sheppard), Robinson, T Jefkins, Newton (Cooper), Cox, Kelly.

Petworth Veterans 5 Ranville Veterans 0


It was Petworth’s turn to host the annual England v France encounter and they regained the trophy they lost in Normandy last year.

In front of a decent crowd, Adie Konieczny had the first good opportunity when he burst clear of the defence but he fired his effort just over.

Quinn Murray combined with Ian Mackenzie down the right and after a strong run to the byline Murray whipped in a deep cross to the far post which was headed home by Colin Jones, now tied with Konieczny as the all-time leading scorer in these exchange matches, with six.

Konieczny made amends for his earlier miss when his shot from just outside the area had the French keeper flapping.

The Petworth defence was expertly marshalled by Chris Exall and Richard Solley with Jeff Cox playing his usual composed game in central midfield.

Petworth went further ahead early in the second half with a pair of sweet left-foot strikes from Darren Hotston and Richard Solley. Solley replaced the excellent Alex Wadey in goal and later made the save of the match to round off his man-of-the-match display.

Chris Todd wrapped up the scoring for Petworth with a close-range header after fine work from Clive Sefton down the left.

Player-manager Mark Temple, now 50, was managing and playing his last game but judging by his energetic performance he may well have retired a year or two too soon.

He will be sorely missed - his enthusiasm and relaxed leadership style was a major contributor to the excellent spirit of the team.

Petworth return to Ranville in Normandy in October 2013 to defend their trophy.

PETWORTH: Alex Wadey, Paul Tilson, Jez Wakeford, Chris Exall, Richard Solley, Darren Hotston, Ian Mackenzie, Jeff Cox, Mark Temple, Adie Konieczny, Colin Jones, Quinn Murray, Chris Todd, Clive Sefton, Doug Cursens.