Lavant contrive to turn cup victory into defeat

editorial image

Lavant will never understand how they lost their Malcolm Simmonds Cup tie at home to Lancing. But one thing is clear: Lavant, for long periods, outplayed their opponents and bosses David Parker and David Kent potentially have a great team.

A little overawed by premier-division opponents, Lavant were tentative early on and were unlucky when Sean Page’s cross was deflected in by Lavant’s Chris Coe with five minutes gone.

The response was immediate. A Mike Bartley-Stuart Loversidge interchange ended with Loversidge crossing to Ryan Seacombe to level.

Sensational football saw Louis Weller just miss the angle two minutes later and Lancing keeper Ashley Hollicks pulled off class saves from Loversidge, Bartley and Seacombe before a delightful move saw Bartley tee up Seacombe, whose goal was inexplicably disallowed for offside.

In the second half, Lancing changed to 3-5-2 but Lavant still dominated and deserved the lead when Seacombe put Weller through and his cross was superbly finished by Dave Knight.

Matt Hine forced another great save from Hollicks on 77 minutes.

It looked like Lavant were coasting to a 2-1 win when an individual error let in Chris Phillips to cross for Liam Hall to equalise in the 88th minute.

Lancing hit the net again in added time, but it was offside.

In extra-time, an error allowed Phillips in. Although keeper Sanson saved, the ball fell again to the striker, who finished well from a tight angle.

Lavant were awarded a penalty with six minutes left but Loversidge’s spot-kick was saved by Hollicks.

Assistant manager Kent said: “We have to learn a few more things. But all this bodes well for the future.”

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Lyttle, Wright, Hine; Weller, Knight, Brooks, Bartley; Seacombe, Loversidge. Subs: Grace, Neville.

East Dean 1 Sidlesham 4

Malcolm Simmonds Cup second round

On Sidlesham’s second visit to East Dean this season, they went one goal up after a cross was turned into his own net by an East Dean defender.

But there was nothing lucky about Andy Carragher’s 35-yard effort on 22 minutes which nestled nicely in the far corner.

Sidlesham continued on top in the second half and Paul Barnes took the opportunity to increase the lead with a well-placed header from a cross by Howard Low on 49 minutes.

Tom Bailey scored from the spot on 65 and a solo effort from Brad Derry, who came on for Gary Jones, finished the scoring for the Sids.

A lapse in concentration in the Sidlesham defence allowed East Dean a late consolation.

SIDLESHAM: Keen, Jones, Carragher, Grantham, Evans, Miles, Philips, Rawlins, Low, Barnes, Bailey. Subs: Whitmore, Derry, O’Neil, Dennis,