It’s the Wright send-off for ladies’ coach

Chichester ladies line up to face Forest Green
Chichester ladies line up to face Forest Green
  • Chichester ladies win boss Wright’s final game
  • Fowlie’s fabulous winner sparks delirium
  • Development squad have four games left

Chichester City gave departing manager Matt Wright the perfect send-off with a 2-1 victory over title-chasing Forest Green in their final game of the season.

Wright is stepping down after eight years at the helm to help drive the club forward from behind the scenes.

Chichester started the brighter side and were soon asking questions of the visiting defence.

City had several great chances to take the lead. A free kick by Becky Barron bounced in front of the keeper, then Kally Ambler’s fierce volley from just inside the area was blocked.

Rachael Waller was teed up on the edge of the area but was unable to connect properly. Found was the next to test the keeper with a long range effort that was spilled, with Barron almost snaffling the rebound.

The second half began with the visitors having a strike chalked off for offside.

Chichester took the lead their play deserved when a free-kick was played into the box and Ambler produced a looping volley over the keeper and into the net.

Back came Forest Green, who knew a point would clinch the title. A throw-in was launched into the box and the flick-on fell kindly for the onrushing Green forward to volley into the net giving Nea Piiroinen no chance.

Chichester introduced Chloe Dowdell and her direct running caused real problems.

City got the winner in the final minute when another free-kick kindly for Jenna Fowlie who slammed her shot into the roof of the net, sparking wild celebrations.

The final whistle blew ensuring the Green Army had secured victory in their final game of a hard season, leaving Forest Green relying on others to slip up if they’re to take the title.

Lewes Ladies Res 1 Chichester City Dev Squad 0

This battle at the bottom of the league proved a close-fought encounter.

Chi had a new-look back-line of Hannah Chalk, Ellie Hawes and Lucy Harnett. Outfield player Sky Gould was in goal again as the main keeper was unwell and there was a debut for Jodie Pallant up front alongside Jess Pike.

They started brightly and captain Georgia Selby and Jemma Cottam-Verbruggen were controlling things.

Chichester were forcing Lewes back into their own half. Lewes couldn’t keep the ball as Chichester pressed hard and Amber Beaven and Rachel Towler were causing problems on the wings.

Sian Payne was getting the ball forward well.

Lewes weren’t causing any problems and a free-kick by Towler was spilt by the keeper and Payne hit the bar. Then a header from Pike was cleared off the line.

Chichester looked like they were going to make a breakthrough but Lewes defended well.

Chichester came out second half and switched off – their passes started to go astray and Lewes gained confidence.

A miscommunication meant a long ball by Lewes found their winger free in the box and she hit a low shot into the corner.

Chichester started to pass the ball around but their final pass had started to fade and they were giving the ball away.

Lewes had a shout for a penalty waved away.

Chichester dominated for large parts of the first half but didn’t capitalise.

The Chi second team have four games left, with their last home game at Clymping FC on Sunday against C&K Basildon (2pm).