It’s a struggle for Robins, Sids and Stags

Bosham, in blue, on the defensive at Billingshurst  Photo by Steve Cobb SUS-141027-090842001
Bosham, in blue, on the defensive at Billingshurst Photo by Steve Cobb SUS-141027-090842001

Bosham, Sidlesham and Midhurst managed only a point between them in the latest round of action in divisions two and three of the Sussex League.

Billingshurst 1 Bosham 0

Sussex League division three

Kieran Hartley saw red as Bosham crashed to a second consecutive defeat to knock them off their perch at the top of the table with Ross Curtis bagging the only goal of the game.

With the likes of Graeme Dowden and Dave Bryant restored to the starting line-up it was a much stronger side who took to the pitch at Jubilee Fields.

The Robins quickly began creating chances to test keeper Tom Betts but he kept the strikers at bay.

Bosham had an excellent chance on the half-hour after good work down the right from Marco Giambelardini and Hartley. Following a cross, Kieran Carter found the ball at his feet and fired a shot goal just the wrong side of the post.

Then the hosts were denied the opening goal when Oli Leslie was flagged offside moments after finding the net.

Leslie was a menace to the Robins all afternoon.

Billingshurst took the lead right on half-time. Andy Probee, player manager, was caught out at the back and conceded a penalty in trying to prevent an attempt on goal by Hass Shermahi. Curtis slotted from the spot.

Bosham threw everything at the black and reds in the second half and both sides were reduced to ten men with Hartley seeing red for a moment of madness and a Billingshurst player sent off or a second yellow during the same incident.

Josh Don and Jake Lafferty came on for the Reds but couldn’t find the quality needed to get back on level terms.

Bosham aim to gain instant revenge when they host Billingshurst at the Lane this week in the Division Three Cup.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Probee, Dowden, Bryant, Docherty, Hartley, Carter, Wilson, Giambelardini, Redman, Mullen. Subs: Lafferty, Don, Lancaster, Brockway.


Sidlesham 0 Southwick 0

Sussex League division two

Sidlesham welcomed Southwick to the Recreation Ground knowing it was going to be a tight affair – and so it proved.

The first 20 minutes belonged to Sids and they should have opened the scoring when a delightful ball from skipper Andy Carrigher found its way to Tom Kelly. One on one with the keeper he tried to round him but his touch took him too wide.

A deep cross from Carrigher found Dean Reed unmarked in the box but the lively forward couldn’t quite make the connection required.

John Phillips went close for Sids when he was teed up by Tom Jefkins; however his volley flew just over the bar.

The remainder of the half belonged to Southwick but keeper Ash Rochester was in fine form and Joe Leggat stopped one attack with a timely tackle.

Dan Cowell pulled up with a tight hamstring, Barry McCoy replacing him.

For all Sids possession they didn’t really muster any chances of note. A Phillips volley was charged down when it looked goalbound and a late flurry of corners should really have tested the away side more.

Manager Gary Jefkins said it could turn out to be a good point for both sides, who he felt would both be in the mix at the end of the season.

Sids MoM was Andy Carrigher.

This week sees Sids travel to face Three Bridges reserves in the Intermediate Cup.

SIDS: Rochester, Grantham, Carrigher, Cowell (McCoy), Leggat, T Jefkins, Phillips, Bayley (J Jefkins), Millens, Kelly, Read. Unused subs: Williams, Smith.

Midhurst 1 Steyning 3

Sussex League division one

The Stags’ four-game unbeaten run was ended by a well-drilled Steyning who took advantage of a lacklustre Midhurst performance.

Player-boss Gary Norgate brought himself and Scott Towers into the team. Towers put in some good early tackles and Norgate scored the Stags only goal.

The game swung in Steyning’s favour on half an hour when a long punt over the top from the goalkeeper caught the defence napping. The Steyning striker latched on to the ball ahead of the onrushing Dan Roberts and coolly lobbed him.

MoM Sean Dummer and Jimmy Turner were combining well down the right while Josh Sheehan was as industrious as ever but the rest of the half was Steyning’s as a thumping shot rebounded off the bar from 25 yards and two smart saves from Roberts kept the Stags in the game.

The snd half started better following a stern team talk from Richie Towers. On 55 minutes a good move saw Jimmy Turner played in down the right. His cross was squared to Norgate, who slotted into an empty net.

A good ball into the box bounced about like a pinball but neither Norgate or Towers could force it in.

Soon, another long punt from the Steyning keeper was not defended by the Midhurst defence, allowing a Steyning striker to volley home from eight yards.

The third was inevitable and from a free-kick the Steyning centre-back was allowed a free run and header to make it 3-1.

There will be hard work on the training ground this week ahead of a huge derby with Storrington this Saturday.

Norgate said: “It was dissapointing to see the lads slip back into old habits and fail to put in 100 per cent effort. They are all hurting and we’ll work hard to rebuild and get up for it next week.”

MIDHURST: Roberts, Dummer, White (Casselton), Hyde, Broughton, Mason, Sheehan, Towers, Turner (Newton), Norgate, Dreckman (Sheldrick). Subs: Newton, Sheldrick, Casselton.