Football: Cup clash was fairly even - until Sids hit 14

Sidlesham’s goal feast leads the way in our round-up of action involving teams in the West Sussex League.

Sidlesham 14 Westfield Res 0

Sussex Intermediate Cup

Both teams spent the first few minutes testing each other out – but it soon turned into a goal glut for Sids.

After ten minutes Andy Hounsome opened the scoring with a fine long-range swerving shot and eight minutes later Paul Barnes scored with a fine header.

Sids continued to push forward and on 25 minutes Barnes scored his second. Westfield were not giving the Sids many problems but the Sids had to wait until the 38th minute before Barnes scored his third.

The second half saw the Sids start as they had finished the first and on 47 minutes John Phillips made it five. Within eight minutes Barnes scored his fourth.

The Sids brought on Jay Whitmore, Kieran Hartley and Ricky Mullen and with two goals from Mullen on 70 and 75 minutes, the Sids were overwhelming Westfield.

Dean Platt took over scoring duties and opened his scoring in the 78th minute and added more on 80, 82, 86, 88 minutes – with Jay Whitmore scoring on the 85th minute.

Although Westfield fielded a very young team, nothing should be taken away from the way Sids played and the management took a great deal of satisfaction.

This Saturday the Sids are home to Uckfield Town.

SIDS: Arnell, Millins, Carrigher, Brown, Grantham, McDuffie, Low, Hounsome, Barnes, Platt, Phillips. Subs: Whitmore, Hartley, Mullen.

Shoreham Res 3 Lavant 2

Sussex Intermediate Cup

After a run of 30 games without losing, Lavant suffered their second defeat in two weeks.

They faced an alert and strong home side but edged the first half in style.

Despite Shoreham hitting the crossbar three times, Lavant deserved their 1-0 half-time lead after Richard Gabb and Ryan Seacombe had closed down the home side’s defenders and given Mike Bartley a chance outside the box to finish in style.

Lavant keeper Neil Sanson had made two outstanding saves. But James Sandford and Seacombe for Lavant had forced two fine stops from Sam Brooks at the other end.

But within a minute of the restart, Shoreham had equalised through Craig Stevens as Lavant’s lack of concentration exposed them to the sucker punch.

Then, seven minutes later, Bartley almost restored Lavant’s lead from a corner.

A Seacombe-Bartley combination saw the latter force another fine save from Brooks. But, two minutes later, Stevens got his second for Shoreham with a fine finish.

Lavant were awarded a free-kick and substitute Mike Neville floated the ball in and Bartley headed his second and put Lavant level on 78 minutes. The home side clinched the tie when Jonny Buggy’s narrow angle shot was deflected past Sanson two minutes from time.

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Purgavie, Wright, Lyttle; Gabb, Stevens, Bartley, Weller; Seacombe, Sandford. Subs: Neville, McClean.

Mile Oak Res 1 Bosham 3

Vernon Wentworth Cup R2

Bosham got their cup competition up and running by winning a potentially-tricky tie away to Mile Oak reserves.

The Tangerines got off to the better start, with home advantage helping on a bobbly pitch.

It took Mile Oak only a few minutes to show their intentions when Karl Gillingham’s shot beat keeper Callum Fewell but smacked the crossbar.

Bosham started to get on top as Andy Probee and James Wilson used the ball well to release James Bracher and Neil Redman down the flanks. Joe Hancock and Graeme Dowden were a danger in the middle but chances were few and far between. Hancock had a great chance after 20 minutes but keeper Matt Grimstone kept it goalless.

Adam Newman thad a sniff at the other end but shot well wide.

The second half saw Bosham take the game by the scruff of the neck and after a period of pressure, the breakthrough was made when Hancock was put through on goal by Dowden’s excellent flick and smashed a drive past the outstretched arm of Grimstone.

It didn’t take long for the rampant Reds to double the advantage with a little bit of magic from Hancock, who produced an exquisite chip over Grimstone.

Bracher settled things late on with a sublime finish from a tight angle to put the gloss on a wonderful second-half display. Even a late consolation from Gillingham did little to dampen Bosham spirits.

Bosham: Fewell, Street, Brett, Blanshard, Docherty, Probee, Dowden, Joe Hancock, JWilson, Redman, Bracher. Subs: Jack Hancock, Redman, Williams.


Chapel 1 Tangmere Res 6

West Sussex Lge div five south

Chapel’s winning run was brought to an abrupt halt against a very useful Tangmere side.

A weakened Chapel team got off to the worst start when a defensive mistake allowed Martin Perry to score in the first minute. Five minutes later Chapel levelled through Ben Mariner.

The rest of the first half was evenly contested until the last five minutes when Wayne Jelly and Perry put Tangmere 3-1 ahead.

A goal from Jason Bailey and a penalty from Perry to complete his hat-trick put them out of sight. With three minutes to go Andy Martin added number six.