Extra-time, a late winner - and a goal by a 64-year-old

Dan Bassil in flying form for Sidlesham
Dan Bassil in flying form for Sidlesham

Victories for Sidlesham, Lavant and Wittering Utd - and a 64-year-old goalscorer - all feature in our latest round-up from the West Sussex Football League.

Sidlesham 3 Hollington 2 (aet)

Sussex Intermediate Cup R4

Both teams went into this fixture unbeaten in their respective leagues, so it was no surprise it went the distance.

On four minutes Gary Jones swung in a peach of a cross for Paul Barnes to head home.

Stand-in keeper Lee Arnell pulled off some fine saves but on 40 minutes Hollington’s Shane Ryan made it 1-1.

The second half saw both keepers needing to be on their toes. Sids hit the bar and the post from long-range efforts by Barnes and Dan Bassil but extra-time was needed.

In the fifth minute, Ryan was on hand again to turn the ball into the net off both posts after good work down the left.

Almost immediately, Sidlesham replied through Bassil. The game was finally won when Steve Whitehead scored for Sids on 118 minutes and the hosts held on to clinch their hardest win of the season.

The victory puts Sids into the last eight.

SIDS: Arnell, Jones, Brown, Grantham, Evans, Miles, Philips, Derry, Barnes, Bassil, Rawlins. Subs: Whitehead, Low, Simmons.

Lavant 2 Yapton 1

Division one

Lavant got back to winning ways at home to in-form Yapton.

Manager David Parker’s game plan was to absorb Yapton pressure in the first half and switch to passing and attacking football in the second period. And that was effectively how the match panned out.

Ross Ludlow hit the Lavant net but was ruled offside and the first half ended goalless but with Yapton having the better of the exchanges.

After the interval, Lavant applied the pressure but the visitors went ahead against the run of play in the 56th minute when a delightful interchange between Dean Bennett, Karl Westbrook and Ludlow ended with Ludlow’s impressive finish.

The scorer’s joy did not last long for at the other end, his attempt to defend Mike Neville’s corner ended with him heading into his own net on 72 minutes.

Lavant won the game when Mike Bartley headed the clincher five minutes from time.

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Purgavie, Wright, Hine; Weller, Brooks, Stevens, Bartley; Seacombe, Knight. Subs: Neville, Cole.

Fittleworth 1 Wittering Utd 4

Division two south

Wittering knew a 12th consecutive win could see them top the table at the expense of their hosts.

With player-manager Gary Jefkins out for six months following a cartilage operation, Wittering went ahead within ten minutes. A great flick-on by Tom Kelly was chased by man of the match Darran Cox and he slotted past the keeper.

Wittering made their dominance pay, the outstanding Kelly outpacing the defence and cutting back for Simon Oakes who made no mistake from ten yards.

Wittering midfielder Jimmy Kewell hobbled off after 20 minutes, replaced by Jay Smith.

A firm header was pushed on to the bar by Wittering keeper Ash Rochester.

Tom Jefkins’ neat through-ball was gathered by Oakes who took it round the keeper and slid it in.

Wittering wrapped up the game when Cox unselfishly laid the ball on for Howden who made no mistake.

Cox very nearly added a fifth, as did Jefkins and Dave Kennard.

Fittleworth pulled one back when their midfielder turned the Wittering defence on a muddy surface and fired in an unstoppable shot.

WITTERING: Rochester, Green (Cairns 75), McCoy, O’Brennan, Kennard, Oakes (75), T Jefkins, Kewell (Smith 20), Kelly, Howden, Cox.

Watersfield Reserves 3 Coal Exchange 2

Division four south

Coal Exchange travelled to Watersfield looking for revenge after a 4-1 defeat in the reverse fixture.

The Emsworth side opened the scoring with a chip over the keeper from Tom Parker. Watersfield piled on the pressure and scored three goals before the break to make it 3-1 at half-time.

Coal Exchange dominated possession in the second half and in the 80th minute, 64-year-old Brian Clancy picked up the ball in the area and poked a shot past the Watersfield keeper for his first-ever goal for the Coal Exchange.

Coal Exchange couldn’t find the equaliser but at least it was a day to cherish for Clancy.