City downed at Dorking but too strong for Arundel

IT’S been a mixed week for Chichester City - they lost at Dorking but bounced back to beat Arundel.

Dorking Wanderers 3 Chichester City 1

Sussex League division one

A MISSED PENALTY midway through the second half proved the turning point for Chichester at Dorking.

On a very muddy pitch, neither side showed a great deal of constructive play and despite defending well, City didn’t really produce enough serious attacks to justify a share of the spoils.

Wanderers took the lead on 25 minutes when Chichester full-back Aidan Madden was injured. A Jake Hill free-kick on the right led to an unstoppable bullet header from Chris Boulter to make it 1-0.

City enjoyed their best spell in the approach to half-time. George Landais turned brilliantly on 38 minutes but blazed his shot over and two minutes later an awful clearance by Dorking keeper Dean Cupit allowed Dan Hegarty a free shot from 25 yards out, but again it went over.

In the 45th minute, Tom Groom won a free-kick and Luke Killner’s delivery was converted by Peter Hibbert at the far post for the equaliser.

Dorking had a period of sustained pressure after the break. Anthony Ender did well to keep out Luke Jermy’s shot with his legs on 63 minutes, but could do nothing to stop Tom Tolfrey scoring a few seconds later.

Chichester were thrown a lifeline in the 69th minute when they were awarded a penalty for arm-holding, but Killner appeared to be too casual with his spot-kick which was well off-target.

The initiative was now with Dorking and they made sure of victory with nine minutes remaining. James Duff’s corner led to a foul in the goalmouth and Tolfrey fired in the penalty for 3-1.

“I thought Dorking were good value for their win,” said City joint boss Sean Forry. “Goals change matches and things may well have been different if the pen had gone in.

“It would have given our legs a boost and Dorking, when asked questions in the first half, did not cope too well. Overall though, I thought they were a decent side and better on the day.

“The positive for us is that, although not at our best, we could have still got a result against one of the better sides and with the consistency shown over the previous six games, it’s a good measure of our continuing progress.”

CITY: Ender, Sanashee, Madden, Boniface, Hibbert, Hegarty, Groom, Killner, Landais, F Smith, Forry. Subs: Case, Blatchford, Ansa.

Chichester City 2 Arundel 0

Sussex League division one

CAPTAIN Peter Hibbert was Chichester’s matchwinner against Arundel on Tuesday night.

The centre-half scored on the stroke of half-time before having to temporarily come off early in the second period with a head injury. But for good measure, he then poked the ball home from the edge of the six-yard box with 12 minutes left.

Arundel’s strikeforce comprised two former City favourites - Scott Tipper and Russell Hardwell - but on a difficult pitch, they never got a chance to show what they were made of.

Chichester created all the best chances, with George Landais hooking the ball just wide on 27 minutes and Dan Hegarty blasting a powerful shot midway through the second half.

With conditions deteriorating towards the end and both sets of players tiring, City were never in any danger of surrendering their advantage.

CITY: Ender, Brookes, Sanashee, Boniface, Hibbert, Ansa, Groom, Killner, Landais, Hegarty, F Smith.