Chichester quick to put first-day defeat behind them

Neil Sherlock and Sean Forry are hopeful of a bright season at Chichester City   Picture by Chris Hatton
Neil Sherlock and Sean Forry are hopeful of a bright season at Chichester City Picture by Chris Hatton

It’s been a mixed start to the new Sussex League football season for Chichester City – but they’ve registered their first win and joint boss Neil Sherlock is confident of a solid season ahead.

Newhaven 3 Chichester City 0

Sussex League division one

HISTORY failed to repeat itself at Fort Road when Chichester were defeated 3-0 by Newhaven.

In the corresponding fixture last season, City fell three goals behind but eventually won 4-3, but there was no sensational comeback this time.

The Dockers took the lead midway through the first half following a corner, with Jason Goddard – unmarked at the far post – getting the goal. Newhaven extended their lead a few minutes before the break when a long ball over the top found Craig Bunch, who headed past keeper Austin Holden to provide Ebou Jallow with an easy tap-in.

In the second half, a dangerous header from Conor Sidwell smashed against the City crossbar before another long ball from the same player on 87 minutes was missed by Holden and Tyler Goatcher had a simple task to knock it into an open goal for 3-0.

City: Holden, Eyres, Northeast, J Smith, Hibbert, Gilbert, Groom, Edwards, Gromett, Woolf, F Smith. Subs: Hegarty, Burden, Williams, Forry.

Chichester City 3 Selsey 1

Selsey suffered their second successive defeat of the new season on Tuesday, going down 3-1 to Chichester at Oaklands Park.

The inexperienced Blues were the more lively side during a goalless first-half, and Chichester were given plenty to think about with a series of fast attacks down both flanks. A shot from David Rough on the left fizzed just over the top on 27 minutes but Selsey couldn’t convert their chances.

Ten minutes after the break, Chichester took the lead with a neat combined move straight down the middle that finished with Frazer Smith striking the net.

Then on 65 minutes Selsey keeper Ryan Chard was unable to hold onto a stinger from Ross Woolf and Graham Bush hit in the rebound for a debut goal against his former club.

Selsey reduced the deficit when Rough, lurking at the far post, collected a loose ball and made it 2-1.

But City made victory secure with nine minutes remaining following a disputed corner, which led to Harry Gilbert’s header smashing against the bar and Alex Fowlie’s return effort also hitting the underside of the woodwork before bouncing over the line.

City: Ender, Williams, Eyres, Fowlie, Hibbert, Hegarty, Groom, F Smith, Bush, Woolf, Edwards. Subs: Ansa, Gilbert, Silvester.

Selsey: Chard, Parsons, Rough, Bardelou, Gilbert, Gunstone, M Thompson, Correll, Platt, Missick, Goulding. Subs: Almeida, Morris, C Thompson.

City joint boss Neil Sherlock is hopeful the team are in for a solid campaign.

He said: “This is my fourth season as manager and I feel this year’s pre-season has been better than our past ones.

“All apart from two of last season’s first and development-squad players have signed again and we’ve added a few – and with a few more joining over the next few weeks are all good signs for the coming season.

“This season, we are aiming to progress as we have over past four. We’ve finished 22nd, 19th, 11th and then managed a top-seven finish.

“Saturday’s result at Newhaven was a big dissapointment. We’re notoriously slow starters but need to put things right over next six games and the win over Selsey was a good start in that.”