Boult from the blue saves Chichester City

Selsey keeper Karl Walton and defender Stewart Morey   Picture by Louise Adams
Selsey keeper Karl Walton and defender Stewart Morey Picture by Louise Adams

CHICHESTER CITY took a point from a visit to East Preston then suffered frustration from a burst pipe - while Selsey slipped to two straight away defeats.

East Preston 3 Chichester 3

Sussex League division one

AN 83rd-minute cheeky back-heel from Matt Boulton gave Chichester a draw at East Preston.

EP claimed first-half goals through Shaun Charles and David O’Callaghan, with Alex Ansa replying for City.

Josh Case brought the score to 2-2 early in the second half, but when Scott Johnston restored the home side’s advantage, salvaging anything appeared a tough task for City.

But Boulton’s late goal means Daren Pearce’s team have now only lost one out of the last seven league matches.

City: Ender, Eyres, Bingham, Pearce, Boulton, Hegarty, Hartley, Case, Bush, Frangou, Ansa. Subs: Taylor, Boniface.

Chichester were denied the chance to build on the point with a visit to Shoreham on Tuesday night –by a burst pipe.

Shoreham and City were all set to lock horns with the pitch at Middle Road having survived the winter weather. But the game was called off when a water pipe burst.

Shoreham boss Kane Louis was disappointed as the pitch had held up well despite snow earlier in the day and was deemed playable.

He said: “It was really disappointing that the game was called off. A lot of games had been called off owing to snow and poor weather conditions.

“We had escaped the bad weather and were ready to host the game but then the water pipe burst. All of the squad were looking forward to the game against Chichester after our best display of the season on Saturday.”

Chichester have no scheduled game this Saturday.

Broadbridge Heath 5 Selsey 0

Littlehampton 2 Selsey 0

Sussex League division one

Two away games in four days made it another tough week for basement side Selsey.

An Ollie Moore hat-trick and strikes from Tiago Andrade and Mark Bevan earned Heath a comfortable victory over Steve Bailey’s team at the weekend.

On Tuesday night, Selsey showed great resilience against title-chasing Littlehampton, going down 2-0 in a match where many spectators were expecting an avalanche of goals.

Former Chichester striker George Landais fired Littlehampton into a ninth-minute lead but the Marigolds took it far too casually for the remainder of the evening and Selsey were competitive throughout.

Landais hit the post on 31 minutes, but there were few other chances of note and Selsey keeper Kieron Gilbert put in a confident display to deal with whatever was thrown at him.

James Parsons got the ball in the net for Selsey on the hour mark, but the whistle had already blown.

This served as a wake-up call for Littlehampton, who eventually sealed victory four minutes from time with a superb 16-pass move which culminated in Scott Packer slotting the ball home with the Selsey defenders run ragged.

SELSEY (at Littlehampton): Gilbert, Lempriere, Parsons, C Thompson, S Morey, Russell, G Morey, Mathews-Smith, Almeida, M Thompson, Kemplen. Subs: Kingdom, Day, Cavell.

Selsey go to Hassocks on Saturday.