Barnham batter Bosham in cup - but only in one half

Bosham’s Vernon Wentworth Cup dreams were extinguished in emphatic style by a Barnham side riding high in county league division three.

But it took a turn of fortune in the second half to finally break the resistance of a well-drilled Bosham side and end up 5-0 winners.

With the snow now gone, the pitch at Slindon was soft and wet for the match and both sides were to find it tough to produce the flowing football that has long been evident in previous meetings between them.

Bosham started well in their change strip of yellow and black and despite some early pressure from the hosts, Bosham steadied the ship and started to find gaps in the Barnham defence - but were unable to test the gloves of keeper, Byron Kearns.

From a corner Bosham went close on the quarter-hour when Ben Evans headed the ball back across the box only for Graeme Dowden to nod narrowly wide from yards out.

The half wore on with few other chances to speak of, but, right on half-time, Barnham had a glorious chance to get their noses in front. Sam Enticott found himself free in the box with just keeper Simon Hasted to beat, but the Bosham shot stopper was more than up for the task and saved well to see the sides go into the break goalless, with Bosham certainly the happier of the two sides.

Few could have predicted what would happen in the second period.

Not long in and Barnham were awarded a free kick close to the Robins’ box and, despite good organisation, Mark Pedrick produced a wonderful effort that flew into the corner of the net, leaving Hasted rooted to the spot.

Bosham needed to respond to this setback but, although seeing a lot of the ball, failed to utilise the slope advantage.

Then a six-minute goal blitz from the hosts took the game firmly away from the reds leaving them stunned and deflated. First, debutant Joe Yates picked his spot with efficient ease to double the lead - followed minutes later by Pedrick grabbing his second from the penalty spot after a clumsy foul on Richie Boxall was suitably punished by the referee Martin Smith.

Finally the blitz ended when Boxall waltzed through the beleaguered Bosham defence to slot home a fourth for the now-rampant blues.

Matt Noble ended the drama with a very late counter-attack goal to add gloss to the scoreline and it was a very deflated Bosham side left the pitch at full-time wondering what had hit them in that second half.

A return to league matters against Cowfold this week will hopefully settle the Bosham ship and help to wipe away the memories of this bad day at the


BOSHAM: Hasted, Jack Hancock, Redman, Blanshard, Docherty, Probee, Wilson, Dowden, Joe Hancock, Evans, Maitland. Subs: Brett, Desai.