Competitive battle ends in dire draw

Chi City 0 Horsham YMCA 0

Sussex League division one

A HEAVY PITCH at Oaklands Park led to a competitive but ultimately dire battle between Chichester and Horsham YMCA that failed to produce any goals. Although the contest had a lively opening half-hour, the rain-sodden surface gradually took its toll in a match where the pace steadily diminished throughout.

City had the better of it during the first-half and the thrusting Lewis Edwards was instrumental in a couple of decent moves. On 28 minutes he sent a through-ball to Graham Bush, whose effort was cleared off the line by a defender, and 4 minutes later Edwards himself tried a shot that whizzed just over the bar.

YM were far more forceful after the break, and they were left cursing their luck when two opportunities were missed late on.

Brad Curtis had clear sight of goal with 12 minutes remaining after City defender Alex Fowlie slipped and lost possession, but keeper Anthony Ender pushed the ball away for a corner.

And Ender was called upon again on 88 minutes when a Liam Hunter run was thwarted in cavalier-style by the on-rushing stopper in a clash that earned both players a yellow card.

City: Ender, Williams, Buckland, Pearce, Fowlie, Boniface, Smith, Ansa, Bush, Frangou, Edwards.

CITY have been awarded their Sussex Senior Cup Second Round tie versus East Preston.

The match was scheduled for last Tuesday but EP – who recently lost virtually their entire first-team squad when manager Dom di Paola left – were unable to raise a side for the fixture.

Selsey 3 Hailsham 4

Division one

SELSEY got off to a bad start as they found themselves two behind after 20 minutes after individual errors.

But impressively the home side managed to comeback and came in at half-time with a 3-2 lead.

Dave Rough began the first-half fightback by scoring in his first game back since August.

And the momentum was with Steve Bailey’s side as Toby Lemtriere brought the two sides level.

James Parson’s then rounded off an inspiring first-half recovery.

The second half began with a lower tempo and neither side were causing many problems.

But then a deflected free-kick on 85 minutes brought the away side level, which put Selsey under pressure.

And five minutes into injury time Hailsham grabbed the winning goal after an error from Selsey’s keeper. He went to clear the ball and sadly the ball fell to the feet of an opposition player, who had the simple task of stroking it home.

Pagham Res 2 Montpelier 0

SCFA Intermediate Cup

WITH the first team game at Ringmer called off due to a waterlogged pitch it was left to the Reserves to put in a fine display to 2-0 win over Montpelier United AFC in the third round.

It only took two minutes for the home side to break the deadlock as Luke Rose took a through ball and slotted home past the keeper.

Credit must go to the Montpelier as they showed great character, because many teams who concede early on let their heads drop.

With end to end football the game had to temporarily stop after 30 minutes, as Pagham left the field to change their shirts as the pale blue and white strips of the visitors looked similar to the home side’s white shirts as the light faded.

Pagham came out stronger in the second half and a Connelly free kick just failed to find Rowett at the far post.

The same players combined on 57 minutes as Pagham doubled their lead with Rowlett finding the back of the net.

Minutes later Pagham nearly scored another as they continued to put the opposition under pressure as Garnett headed over.

This win sets up a home tie with Lavant in the next round, the date is yet undecided.

Pagham U18s 12

Sedlescombe 0

SCFA Intermediate Cup

THE Under 18’s went to East Sussex to play Sedlescombe Rangers in the Dennis Probee Youth Cup 4th round.

In a game which saw Pagham without a goalkeeper, starting with Jake Cleall in goal and coming out into open play for the final ten minutes and scoring two. Pagham made their presents felt going in 5-1 at half time.

The second half saw the Young Lion Cubs run riot to finish 12-1 victors and go forward into the next round.

The other goalscorers were Crouch and Irish who scored three each, Danny Greenslade with two whilst Marsh and Stanley also got on the scoresheet.