Fifteen wickets in two games for Garlick - but it’s not enough for Stirlands

On a wet and windy day, Stirlands made the long trip to Lewes Priory for a relegation crunch match in division two of the Sussex League between the two teams occupying the bottom two slots in the division.

Stirlands opted to bowl and got off to a great start with overseas ace Alex Garlick bowling opener Hartridge with the first ball.

With new ball partner Chris Tebb was keeping it tight at one end, Garlick continued his incredible wicket-taking streak, having taken eight for 99 the previous week, and sooned had four Lewes wickets.

When Tebb took the fifth wicket, Lewes were precariously positioned at 35 for five after 18 overs.

The Lewes rebuilding began with Michael Murray, son of former West Indian wicketkeeper Junior Murray, ably supported by David Tungate.

The pair eked out a partnership of 48 before Garlick struck again having Tungate caught at slip for 17.

Murray was joined Rashid Kahn (20), who showed typical wristy flair before he departed for a well-fought 59.

Tebb (2-24) and Garlick (7-45) cleaned up the tail with Lewes all out for 135 off 50.5 overs.

Stirlands’ reply began with a new partnership of Will Gubbins and Tim Robinson seeking to avoid the usual loss of early wickets.

But it was not to be with Gubbins falling for four and Robinson run out for five after quick work by Adam Scott in the field.

Soon it was 22 for three but Ian Gooding and John Fuller started to rebuild.

The pair put on 41 before Lewes captain Imran Kahn introduced himself.

In his first over he trapped Gooding lbw to dismiss the wicketkeeper-batsman for 21.

His second over saw Fuller (17) caught behind by Tungate and his third brought him the wicket of Garlick.

Now into the tail, Lewes sought to apply the pressure and when, in the space of three balls, Murray had Beal outstandingly caught in the slips by Hartridge and Tebb run out for a duck, Stirlands had gone from 64 for three to 66 for nine – and the run chase was effectively over.

Stand-in skipper Paul Dorkins and Christian Fallick put on a stubborn 21 for the final wicket before Murray had Dorkins caught at full stretch by Scott in the gully, giving Lewes their first victory of the campaign by 48 runs.