So what was it?

A ‘chemical leakage’ in a private nursing home brought Barrack Lane to a grinding halt one Saturday evening last month, but the jury is still out as to whether or not the chemicals were highly toxic or relatively benign.

The fire brigade, with their usual professional zeal, managed to get the situation under control by power flushing the drains, but the exercise took over four hours and went on until 2.30am.

I suggested, jokingly, the chemical concerned was certainly not Cillitt Bang.

But the question remains... what was it? What chemical or chemicals could have been toxic enough to trigger such a massive alarm at the Royal Bay Nursing?

Does the fire service, police, ambulance, health and safety or environment have any idea?

Discuss.

Geordie Campbell,

Barrack Lane, Aldwick