Teenager burnt in barbecue fire in Slindon

A TEENAGER suffered serious burns to an upper leg after he poured petrol on to a disposable barbeque.

A fire crew from Chichester attended Shellbridge Road in Slindon at 3.30pm last Saturday, May 23, where a 15-year-old boy had suffered leg burns after he used petrol on a barbecue. The fire had been put out before firefighters arrived. The boy was taken to hospital in Brighton.

Watch Commander Pete Winsor said: “The message we want to get out there is this is the time of year when people are having barbecues.

“As a fire service we say, enjoy the barbecue, enjoy the summer, but not to light a fire with petrol or any other accelerant.

“It is a nasty combination which can cause really bad injuries.”