Tea towel fire sparks fire safety warning

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning following an accidental fire sparked by a tea towel.

The crew were called to the University of Chichester’s residential accommodation in Upper Bognor Road at 5.44pm on Saturday.

When firefighters arrived they found that the small fire in the second floor communal kitchen which had been caused by leaving a tea towel on an electric hob was already out.

The crew used a large fan to ventilate the area before leaving the accommodation at 6.01pm.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service would like to warn people, especially students living away from home for the first time, to be careful of the dangers of fire when cooking.

Advice includes not getting distracted while cooking and taking pans off the heat if you are called away from the cooker.