Residents treated for smoke inhalation after Bognor flat fire

Four elderly residents have been taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation after a discarded cigarette was put in a plastic waste bin.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in the Red Ridges flats in Kings Parade, shortly before 7pm.

On their arrival they found a small fire in a ground floor flat with the residents of the sixteen flats being evacuated.

A number of them had been exposed to smoke after they heard the fire alarm ringing and went to assist the occupier of the flat a lady in her 80s - as they made their way out of the building.

Three females and one male were given oxygen at the scene before being taken to hospital as a precaution. Their injuries are not believed to be serious.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the smoke ventilated, with only light damage to the ground floor flat. All the evacuated residents will be able to return to their flats tonight.

Fire crews will be returning to the scene today (Friday, November 11) to give fire safety advice to residents.