Felpham road works delayed after hundreds storm exhibition

Project engineer Kevin Moss answering questions at the session         ks1500546-2
Project engineer Kevin Moss answering questions at the session ks1500546-2

People power has caused traffic safety measures in Felpham to be deferred.

West Sussex County Council announced on Tuesday work on the schemes would be delayed from today until after the Felpham relief road opens. This is due next March.

The decision was made by highways officers after a drop-in session about the work the previous day was beseiged by hundreds of protesting residents and business owners.

They complained about a lack of consultation and the effect some of the proposed alterations would have on traffic conditions.

County council director of highways and transport Nicola Debnam said: “Following the drop-in session, it was apparent there was considerable strength of feeling opposing the scheme and its timing from members of the public.

“We were disappointed by some of the behaviour that was displayed towards our staff – which was intimidating and uncalled for. However, we recognise the strength of feeling among the local community and we will delay the scheme until the Felpham Relief Road has opened.

“This will allow us to speak again with the Joint Western Arun Area Committee (of parish, district and county councillors) to discuss the concerns voiced by residents.”

She pointed out the council had worked closely with Felpham Parish Council over several years.

“A consultation was carried out in 2013 and we recognise that circumstances may have changed since then. So we will carry out a further consultation exercise to ensure we fully understand the current position of local residents and traders,” she said.

Fred Boulton, the owner of Milestones Garage in Felpham Road, said: “This is fantastic news. So many people spoke out against the plans. I’m not opposed to controlling speeding or improving pedestrian safety but I think all we need are three crossings.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bognor.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BognorRegisObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BogObserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bognor Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.