Fresh bout of flooding on main road sparks complaint

HOMEOWNER Annette Denby has criticised the continued flooding of the A29.

The Shripney Road resident said the recent rain saw the previous problems re-occur in spite of a week of maintenance on the road.

“The rain came on Wednesday (January 30) and it just flooded the road from Sack Lane to my property just north of the Robin Hood.

“The water was knee high and stretched for 300-400m,” she said.

“We were told this would never happen again after the work had been done.

“Yet, as soon as we had some rain, we were back to where we were.

“If you had bought something from a shop, and it was no good after ten days, you would take it back for a refund. But that is what has happened here.

“As residents of this road, we are putting our lives in our hands just to go about our normal day to day business.”

Ms Denby moved into her detached flint cottage nine years ago.

She was aware flooding had taken place and expected it to occur occasionally. She also accepts she lives right on the side of a busy A-road.

But the couple of instances of flooding before last June have been replaced by frequent bouts since last summer’s monsoon weather. “Enough is enough,” she said. “My property is being affected by all the water being sprayed over it by drivers just carrying on through the water.

“People are flying down the road. No-one drives with due care. There are people honking each other and shouting at each other.

“Drivers in smaller cars are struggling to get through but it is their only road. So they have to use it.

“But the problem is going on and on. There’s a desperate problem here. It must also be affecting businesses because their deliveries can’t get through.”

Last Thursday’s flooding caused a large lorry to break down for two hours and block the southbound carriageway, leading to chaos as other motorists tried to get round it against the oncoming traffic.

It followed the breakdown of a car for the same length of time the previous day.

“I had to ring the county council to get some flood warning boards put up,” said Ms Denby. “But most of them were blown away by the wind.”