Children back at Bognor Regis school ravaged by June floods

Mobile classrooms have enabled children to return to a flood-hit Bognor Regis school.

The eight temporary structures have been placed on the edge of the large field at Laburnum Grove Primary School with steps to its main playground.

They have joined the school’s existing mobile in which its library and staff room are based.

Headteacher Pip Otton and her teachers greeted the 150 pupils and their parents as they went back to the school on Monday (July 2).

They also allowed the mums and dads to view the mobile classrooms first to allay any concerns about the accommodation while the children waited outside.

Mrs Otton said in a statement before the children came back: “We are looking forward to welcoming all the children back on to the site. We have missed them.”

The new classrooms are in four blocks of two. All have been newly decorated and fitted with interactive whiteboards as well as a IT equipment.

They are fully alarmed and the items have been secured and identified to discourage theft.

The closure of the school on Laburnum Grove resulted from Monsoon Monday which drenched the Bognor area on June 11.

A temporary measure saw pupils moved to schools such as St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, Felpham Community College and The Regis School for two weeks.

Repairs are well under way to the main building at Laburnum Grove.

Mrs Otton states: “All salvageable furniture has been restored and we are very pleased that our teaching resources which are kept in special storage containers on wheels have not been affected.

“All flooring in the main school has been stripped out and the school has been dried out by large industrial heaters.

“In the main building, our ICT services, heating and electrics have not been affected.

“Now that the building is dry, various engineers and contractors will be visiting to assess the work that needs to be done and a timeline of works for repainting, new carpets and vinyl flooring and carpentry work be set and put into action.

“It is anticipated that this work will take place over the six weeks holiday. We are hoping to be back in the main building by September.”

She paid tribute to the efforts of her administrative staff for putting the children first.

The office workers stayed on site during the flooding and then used a makeshift office in the school’s library to carry on their work.