Donation station set up after cadet base break-ins

A DONATION station for Army cadets is being held in Bognor Regis this weekend.

The event is a chance for residents to donate items to the town’s Army Cadet Force after its premises were burgled twice within three days, as previously reported.

The session is taking place from 10.30am-2.30pm on Sunday at The Core business hub on Belmont Street.

Organiser Danny Dawes, of Granddad’s Front Room, said he was holding the event after his appeal on social media to help the No17 Bognor Regis Detachment of the Sussex Army Cadet Force received widespread backing.

“I had a meeting with the two ex-services Sergeant Majors who run the detachment and they have said they need a number of items from staplers to printers, laptop to maps and compasses to Bergens,” he said.

“Due to current cutbacks by the government, these guys are not at the top of the MoD’s list of things to do.

“So, any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, or just pop in and donate a little change as it all adds up.”

The first burglary took place on December 29 at the cadet’s Chichester Road base. The cadets lost almost everything from printers to posters, staplers to laptops and kit to Kit-Kats. What was left was either smashed, taken or destroyed when they were burgled again three days later.

“The young people that attend this organisation raised over £10,500 last year for charity and they still intend to help others in the community with their fundraising,” said Mr Dawes.

Anyone with any information on either of the break-ins should contact Sussex Police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.