A provisional date has been set for the trial of a man charged with murdering Valerie Graves in Bosham in 2013.
Cristian Sabou, 27, who was arrested in Romania on a European Arrest Warrant and extradited to the UK on Friday, appeared at Lewes Crown Court yesterday (Tuesday, July 23), police confirmed.
Sabou, from Dej, Romania, did not enter a plea, said police.
He was remanded in custody to appear at Lewes Crown Court on Monday, September 30.
Judge Katherine Laing QC scheduled a provisional trial date of January 6 and told Sabou he would be expected to enter a plea at his next hearing, confirmed police.
He had previously appeared before magistrates in Brighton on Saturday.
Valerie, a 55-year-old mother and grandmother, was found dead in the bedroom of the house she was looking after in Smugglers Lane, Bosham, on December 30, 2013.
She had been staying at the property while the owners were away over the Christmas period.
A spokesman for Sussex Police said: “Media and public are reminded that proceedings are active and therefore no comment on or opinion about the case should be published or broadcast, in news or social media, at this time.”