Two 18-year-old men from Bognor Regis have been arrested on suspicion of interfering with a vehicle as police investigate valuables being stolen from vehicles in Bersted.
Between Friday January 29 and Thursday (February 4), a total of 20 vehicles were broken into, 15 of which were left insecure.
Items including perfume, a purse, a handbag, an iPhone, an iPod, wallets, keys, Ray-Ban sunglasses, loose change, a bottle of wine, a Sat Nav, a drill and a saw were taken.
PCSO Michelle Davies said: “Several people have been left out of pocket following a spate of crimes, some of which may have been prevented.
“By removing valuables from your car, you can remove the risk of potential crime.
“In addition, we would urge all drivers to keep their doors and windows secure while unattended.
“It takes a matter of seconds for a thief to steal from your car, but it takes even less time to lock it.”
The two men have been bailed until March 10.
The majority of vehicle crime is opportunistic, however a number of steps can be taken to reduce the risk.
- Always lock your car - for however short a period of time;
- Remove valuables from the car - don’t hide things in the glove box;
- Wipe away any tell-tale Sat Nav marks left on your windscreen;
- Close your windows;
- Double check the central locking has worked and your car is secure;
- Where possible, park in a busy, well-lit area;
- Never leave your keys in the vehicle, even if you are just leaving it for a few seconds.
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Sussex Police on email@example.com or call 101, quoting serial 111 of 04/02.
Alternatively, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 (www.crimestoppers-uk.org).
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.bognor.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BognorRegisObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BogObserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Bognor Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.