Sites in Climping and Ford could be used for waste and recycling.
The locations – next to Ford sewage works and at Hobbs Barn –have been identified as being suitable for the uses.
They have been included among a shortlist of ten potential sites in the West Sussex waste plan of the county council which was debated at a meeting of the Joint Downland Area Committee.
Both sites have the potential to be used for commercial waste such as recycling or treatment such as anaerobic digestion.
The Climping site, a former pig farm off Grevatt’s Lane, could accept 20,000-50,000 tons.
A report prepared by West Sussex County Council’s strategic planning manager Michael Elkington said the main issue at this site was the risk of flooding as it is located within a flood risk zone.
The document said tests had been carried out and a flood risk assessment would be required at the planning application stage.
The location in Ford which could be used for 100,000 tons of potential waste a year, was used by Tarmac to manufacture building products. The site is partly covered by buildings and is currently vacant. The site had also been identified by Arun District Council as a potential area for growth.
The same report stated: “The site is a good fit with the spatial strategy as it is well located and would provide for waste arising in towns along the south coast. The site is located in close proximity to the A259, however access to the A27 would be restricted.”
The report said the main issues with the site would be the impact of heavy goods traffic, noise and smell. But these issues would be addressed at the application stage.
Committee member Mike Roddham, also a Walberton parish councillor, said he was surprised the two sites were being pursued considering concern regarding HGV traffic and access problems.
“With the amount of concern we have had recently about HGV traffic I am very surprised the sites have been given the green light. The movements of heavy vehicles and the effects this is having on the roads is of great concern to residents.
“This is only going to add to that. Ford Road is already been hammered by the lorries going up and down it, this would make it worse,” he said.
Mr Elkington who was at Monday’s meeting, told members a final decision on which sites would be progressed would be made in October when county councillors will be asked to approve the waste plan.
He said: “Following technical work and discussions with key consultees, preferred sites have been identified for the allocation of new waste management facilities.
“The technical work to assess the preferred sites is ongoing and more detailed and definite work is needed. No definite decision has been made. We are still looking into issues surrounding prospective sites.
“A desktop study has been carried out but we are still looking at issues like increased HGV traffic, and access issues.”
Mr Elkington said the council’s aspiration to become a zero waste landfill county would be a key element of its new waste plan.
“Depending on the evidence available to support this approach the plan is that no new landfill sites will be needed or allocated,” he said.