Attempted break in at Bognor Sea Cadet headquarters

editorial image

The leader of Bognor Sea Cadets have said it feels ‘relentless’ after a third attack on its Felpham base this year.

Following two break-ins in April, which saw ‘everything of value taken’, last week saw another incident.

Police have issued a statement confirming it received a report of an attempted break-in at Bognor Sea Cadets, in Longbrook, Bognor Regis, ‘shortly after 7pm on Thursday (October 20)’.

It stated the incident is believed to have ‘occurred between 9.15pm on Monday 17 October and 6.40pm on Thursday 20 October’.

LT Carl Edgington said: “When my colleague opened the rear door, which is a fire door, he noticed that the cover to the handle has been broken and was on the floor.”

He added it appeared to have been ‘struck with a blunt object’ and was ‘very amateur’ compared to the previous incidents.

A police spokesperson stated: “A rear door lock at the premises was damaged, however there was no sign of any entry gained and there is no CCTV.”

A CCTV system, along with alarms, security fencing and lights, are in the process of being installed according to Mr Edgington, who said the work was costing ‘£13k-£16k’.

He added: “We have a grant but we have to hit certain criteria to get the next bit - it is relentless.”

However, keen to share positive news, Mr Edgington revealed one of the group’s cadets Jack Golding took part in the London Trafalgar Day parade over the weekend.

Police stated the attempted break-in report ‘has been closed pending any further information coming to light’ and asked anyone with any information to contact 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting serial 1296 of 20/10.