Fontwell’s Boxing Day racing: Decision delayed until raceday

0
Have your say

Officials at Fontwell are delaying making a decision on whether their Boxing Day fixture can go ahead tomorrow (Sunday) until early afternoon as they inspect the course’s public areas and car parks.

Clerk of the course Ed Arkell announced an initial check for 11am on Christmas Day and despite another night of sub-zero temperatures, he found the course to be raceable under the covers.

He delayed any decision while course officials checked the car parks and public areas were safe and feels they can be made passable in time for racing on Sunday.

Temperatures could dip to as low as minus 5C on Saturday night however, and Arkell describes the chance of racing as “50-50”.

“We’ve decided to have another look in the morning,” said Arkell. “The course is currently raceable and it’s a bright and sunny day.

“It’s currently plus 2.5C and it might get a little bit higher later in the day. We do have a challenging forecast for this evening, with temperatures forecast to dip back down to minus 4C or minus 5C, so that will present us with a challenge.

“However, the warmth is getting into the covers and being black, they should keep the heat in.

“We are where we are and you wouldn’t say we have any more than a 50-50 chance.

“We’ve got a jockey and a trainer coming down to have a look in the morning as well, so it’s fingers crossed.”

We will have updates here on Boxing Day morning.