FOLLOWING last week’s council meeting to discuss the petition from the Don’t Cut Us Out Campaign, regarding cuts to adult social care, campaigners are accusing the council of banning a video they had prepared.
The video was originally intended to accompany the speech of Peter Adams, who has muscular dystrophy, to councillors on October 19.
In response to the accusation, a spokesman for West Sussex County Council said: “It is completely untrue to say that a video has been banned and is another typical piece of misrepresentation from Don’t Cut Us Out.
“We have bent over backwards to facilitate Don’t Cut Us Out. Far from silencing the elderly and disabled we have agreed to the group’s speaker presenting a video to enable him to present his case. We said at the outset that we would be happy to distribute it to all county councillors.”
In the meeting, Francis Oppler, councillor for Bognor Regis East, spoke of the ‘disgraceful way’ in which the council leadership had treated Mr Adams with regard to his video support.
“It is all to do with the Tory group not being able to face the consequence of their own policies,” he said. “This authority has received an avalanche of criticism from national charities including Mencap, Scope, and Disability UK to the way that Peter has been treated.”
To watch the video go to www.dontcutusout.org.uk