Tragic flat fire ruled as accidental

Firefighters and police at the scene of a fire in Maltravers Court in Maltravers Road, Littlehampton. Picture: Eddie Mitchell
Firefighters and police at the scene of a fire in Maltravers Court in Maltravers Road, Littlehampton. Picture: Eddie Mitchell
0
Have your say

Yesterday’s flat fire in Littlehampton which claimed the life of an elderly man was accidental, West Sussex Fire Service have said.

As previously reported, emergency services were called to a second-floor flat in Maltravers Court, Maltravers Road just before 9am yesterday (April 27).

Firefighters were sent from Littlehampton fire station, just across the road from where the incident happened, and discovered the man, who was in his seventies, in his bedroom.

The fire, which was contained to the room, was put out immediately and he was declared dead at the scene.

A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire has been ruled as accidental. The investigation into the incident is still in its early stages and further tests need to be carried out, but early indications suggest that the cause of the fire was an electric blanket.”

The man has not yet been named by police.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.